Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Build ia-32 binaries with emt64 (ifort 9.0.021)

Manuel_M_1
Beginner

I've just installed Intel Fortran EMT64 for Linux on a dual Opteron machine.

I would like to compile the f90 sample code (from /opt/intel/fce/9.0/doc/samples) for IA-32 to be run on my laptop.

I used ifort -xW int_sin.f90 but the resulting binary is 64bit.

Is it possible to get an 32bit binary?

Thanks,

Manuel Monteiro

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
You need to install the 32-bit compiler. Start the compiler install as normal, and when it asks you if you want a typical or custom install, select custom. Then you'll get the option of the 32-bit compiler. It is installed to the /opt/intel/fc/9.0 path.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
In a normal installation of ifort 9.0, you will have 32- and 64-bit installations of ifort in separate directories. As Steve indicated, the 32-bit environment would be set up by the scripts which are installed by default in /opt/intel/fc/9.0. This requires the presence of the 32-bit gcc development libraries, which are optional in some x86-64 installations.
0 Kudos
jeff_ryman
Beginner
On our dual Opteron system running Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation v3.2, the system administrator had to install the rpms to put the 32-bit libraries in /usr/lib because they were not installed by default. The 64-bit libraries are in /usr/lib64.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Yes, this is pointed out in our Installation Guide.
0 Kudos
Baudilio
Beginner
Hi,

On the same architecture (Dual Opteron), and running Linux 2.6.9-22 x86_64, I've installed ifort 9.0.021 but, the installer fails for the 64-bit compiler and only installs the 32-bit version.

I haven't seen this issue on the release notes. Does anyone else have undergone this problem and what might it be due to?

Thanks,

Baudilio
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
What is the failure message?
0 Kudos
Baudilio
Beginner
Hi Steve,

The error message is not very suggestive but, here it is:

.....etc....
Processing Intel Fortran Compiler for Intel EM64T-based applications, Version 9.0

Values in [...] are the default values.
You can just hit the Enter key where you want to use the default values.

Where do you want to install to? Specify directory starting with '/'. [/opt/intel/fce/9.0] :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Fortran Compiler for Intel EM64T-based applications, Version 9.0
Installing...
Installation failed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Interesting. Please submit an issue to Intel Premier Support and supply as much information as you can about your environment.

I will note that a new Linux Fortran package is available as of today (9.0.028) from Premier Support File Downloads.
0 Kudos