Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26734 Discussions

Command that works in Terminal fails in Xcode IDE

Manfredo_d_
Beginner

I am trying with quite a lot of bumps to create a project in Xcode using the intel fortran compilers. My compilation produces some object files (and the mod files as well) but breaks at a certain file. If I paste the compilation command in the terminal the compilation seems fine. The only message I get from Xcode is 

Command /usr/local/bin/ifort-19.0.3.199 failed with exit code 2

the compilation command is 

/usr/local/bin/ifort-19.0.3.199 -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.14 -g -O0 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -parallel -assume nobuffered_io -mkl=parallel -fpp -I/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Products/Debug/include -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include -I/usr/local/hdf-1-10.5/include -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/include -Difdef -noD -assume cc-omp -recursive -reentrancy threaded -nopad_source -altparam -nod-lines -qopenmp -standard-semantics -novms -nof77rtl -nointconstant -assume nobscc -stand f08 -warn nostderrors -warn declarations -warn unused -warn noignore-loc -warn notruncated-source -warn noalignments -warn uncalled -warn usage -warn nointerfaces -warn noshape -init=nosnan -init=nozero -align nosequence -assume nodummy_aliases -assume protect-constants -assume nobyterecl -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fp-model no-except -nofltconsistency -no-fp-port -no-ftz -nofpconstant -assume nominus0 -no-complex-limited-range -fp-stack-check -assume nounderscore -nogen-interfaces -module /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug -traceback -check nobounds -check nooutput-conversion -check noformat -check noarg-temp-created -check nopointers -check nouninit -check stack -check noshape -ftrapuv -u -fp-stack-check -c /Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.f90 -o /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o

The file at which the compilation stops is very large (27000 lines). Apart from that it looks pretty similar to the ~10 files for which the compilation works. Also I should specify that the error is not due to the compilation order, I set it manually.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ron_Green

It is a very long command line - I wonder if Xcode is truncating it due to a character limit - maybe??

Can you try compiling everything up to that 1 file, then add in compiler option -dryrun to get a dump of everything passed to the compiler.  Then compile just that 1 source from Xcode.

Manfredo_d_
Beginner

I don't think that it is truncated because if I open the command line and paste that exact line I can compile the .o and .mod files properly in the Xcode specific location.
Following your suggestion I appended a -dryrun flag in the build rules for that one file.
The dump from Xcode is:

CompileFortran /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o /Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.F90
    cd /Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED2
    /usr/local/bin/ifort-19.0.3.199 -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.14 -g -O0 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -parallel -assume nobuffered_io -mkl=parallel -fpp -I/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Products/Debug/include -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include -I/usr/local/hdf-1-10.5/include -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/include -Difdef -noD -assume cc-omp -recursive -reentrancy threaded -nopad_source -altparam -nod-lines -qopenmp -standard-semantics -novms -nof77rtl -nointconstant -assume nobscc -stand f08 -warn nostderrors -warn declarations -warn unused -warn noignore-loc -warn notruncated-source -warn noalignments -warn uncalled -warn usage -warn nointerfaces -warn noshape -init=nosnan -init=nozero -align nosequence -assume nodummy_aliases -assume protect-constants -assume nobyterecl -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fp-model no-except -nofltconsistency -no-fp-port -no-ftz -nofpconstant -assume nominus0 -no-complex-limited-range -fp-stack-check -assume nounderscore -nogen-interfaces -module /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug -traceback -check nobounds -check nooutput-conversion -check noformat -check noarg-temp-created -check nopointers -check nouninit -check stack -check noshape -ftrapuv -dryrun -c /Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.F90 -o /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o

/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/bin/intel64/fpp  \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER=1900 \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER_UPDATE=0 \
    -D__x86_64 \
    -D__x86_64__ \
    -D__amd64 \
    -D__amd64__ \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER_BUILD_DATE=20190206 \
    -D__PIC__ \
    -D__APPLE__ \
    -D__MACH__ \
    -D_OPENMP=201611 \
    -D__pentium4 \
    -D__pentium4__ \
    -D__tune_pentium4__ \
    -D__SSE2__ \
    -D__SSE2_MATH__ \
    -D__SSE3__ \
    -D__SSSE3__ \
    -D__SSE__ \
    -D__SSE_MATH__ \
    -D__MMX__ \
    -Difdef \
    -I. \
    -I/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Products/Debug/include \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include \
    -I/usr/local/hdf-1-10.5/include \
    -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/include \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include/intel64/lp64 \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include/intel64 \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include/icc \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/clang/10.0.1/include \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include/ \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include \
    -4Ycpp \
    -4Ncvf \
    -f_com=yes \
    -MX \
    /Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.F90 \
    /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199kM95n8.i90

/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/bin/intel64/fortcom  \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER=1900 \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER_UPDATE=0 \
    -D__x86_64 \
    -D__x86_64__ \
    -D__amd64 \
    -D__amd64__ \
    -D__INTEL_COMPILER_BUILD_DATE=20190206 \
    -D__PIC__ \
    -D__APPLE__ \
    -D__MACH__ \
    -D_OPENMP=201611 \
    -D__pentium4 \
    -D__pentium4__ \
    -D__tune_pentium4__ \
    -D__SSE2__ \
    -D__SSE2_MATH__ \
    -D__SSE3__ \
    -D__SSSE3__ \
    -D__SSE__ \
    -D__SSE_MATH__ \
    -D__MMX__ \
    -mGLOB_pack_sort_init_list \
    -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory \
    -I. \
    -I/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Products/Debug/include \
    -I/usr/local/hdf-1-10.5/include \
    -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/include \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include/intel64/lp64 \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include/intel64 \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include/icc \
    -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/compiler/include \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/lib/clang/10.0.1/include \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include/ \
    -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk/usr/include \
    "-align nosequence" \
    -altparam \
    "-assume nobuffered_io" \
    "-assume cc_omp" \
    "-assume recursion" \
    "-assume byterecl" \
    "-assume fpe_summary" \
    "-assume minus0" \
    "-assume noold_ldout_format" \
    "-assume noold_maxminloc" \
    "-assume noold_unit_star" \
    "-assume noold_xor" \
    "-assume protect_parens" \
    "-assume realloc_lhs" \
    "-assume std_intent_in" \
    "-assume std_minus0_rounding" \
    "-assume std_mod_proc_name" \
    "-assume std_value" \
    "-assume nobscc" \
    "-assume nodummy_aliases" \
    "-assume protect_constants" \
    "-assume nobyterecl" \
    "-assume nominus0" \
    "-assume nounderscore" \
    -automatic \
    "-check nobounds" \
    "-check nooutput_conversion" \
    "-check noformat" \
    "-check noarg_temp_created" \
    "-check nopointers" \
    "-check nouninitialized" \
    "-check stack" \
    "-check noshape" \
    -fpe0 \
    -noftz \
    "-fpscomp logicals" \
    "-fp_model no_except" \
    "-fp_modspec fp_speculation_OFF" \
    "-fp_modbits no_ftz" \
    "-init nosnan" \
    "-init nozero" \
    "-init snan" \
    "-module /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug" \
    -omp \
    -omp_simd \
    -parallel \
    -O0 \
    -nopad_source \
    -g2 \
    "-reentrancy threaded" \
    "-stand f08" \
    -traceback \
    "-warn declarations" \
    "-warn unused" \
    "-warn noignore_loc" \
    "-warn notruncated_source" \
    "-warn noalignments" \
    "-warn uncalled" \
    "-warn usage" \
    "-warn nointerfaces" \
    "-warn noshape" \
    -simd \
    -mGLOB_em64t=TRUE \
    -mP1OPT_version=19.0-intel64 \
    -mGLOB_diag_file=/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.diag \
    -mGLOB_diag_use_message_catalog=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_long_size_64 \
    -mGLOB_routine_pointer_size_64 \
    -mGLOB_source_language=GLOB_SOURCE_LANGUAGE_F90 \
    -mP2OPT_static_promotion \
    -mP1OPT_print_version=FALSE \
    -mCG_use_gas_got_workaround=F \
    -mP2OPT_align_option_used=TRUE \
    -mGLOB_gcc_version=490 \
    "-mGLOB_options_string=-I/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Products/Debug/include -I/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/mkl/include -I/usr/local/hdf-1-10.5/include -I/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/include -arch x86_64 -isysroot /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.14.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.14 -g -O0 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mno-omit-leaf-frame-pointer -parallel -assume nobuffered_io -mkl=parallel -fpp -Difdef -noD -assume cc-omp -recursive -reentrancy threaded -nopad_source -altparam -nod-lines -qopenmp -standard-semantics -novms -nof77rtl -nointconstant -assume nobscc -stand f08 -warn nostderrors -warn declarations -warn unused -warn noignore-loc -warn notruncated-source -warn noalignments -warn uncalled -warn usage -warn nointerfaces -warn noshape -init=nosnan -init=nozero -align nosequence -assume nodummy_aliases -assume protect-constants -assume nobyterecl -fno-zero-initialized-in-bss -fp-model no-except -nofltconsistency -no-fp-port -no-ftz -nofpconstant -assume nominus0 -no-complex-limited-range -fp-stack-check -assume nounderscore -nogen-interfaces -module /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug -traceback -check nobounds -check nooutput-conversion -check noformat -check noarg-temp-created -check nopointers -check nouninit -check stack -check noshape -ftrapuv -dryrun -c -o /Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o" \
    -mGLOB_position_independent_code \
    -mGLOB_preemption_model=1 \
    -mGLOB_no_compact_unwind=TRUE \
    -mGLOB_cxx_limited_range=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_traceback \
    -mCG_extend_parms=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_compiler_bin_directory=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/bin/intel64 \
    -mP3OPT_emit_line_numbers \
    -mP2OPT_suppress_unreferenced_locals=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_debug_target=GLOB_DEBUG_TARGET_ALL \
    -mDEBUG_info_level=2 \
    -mP1OPT_vft_trigger_debug_types=FALSE \
    -mIPOPT_ninl_debug_info=TRUE \
    -mDEBUG_emit_dwarf_inline_info=TRUE \
    -mGLOB_debug_format=GLOB_DEBUG_FORMAT_DWARF20 \
    -mP3OPT_dwarf_format=P3OPT_DWARF_FORMAT_OBJ_ONLY \
    -mGLOB_as_output_backup_file_name=/var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_19996YWl4as_.s \
    -mP3OPT_debug_gz=10 \
    -mGLOB_uarch_tuning=0x0 \
    -mGLOB_product_id_code=0x22006d91 \
    -mGLOB_maintain_errno \
    -mGLOB_noinline_intrinsics \
    -mGLOB_use_base_pointer=1 \
    -mCG_fpstkchk=TRUE \
    -mCG_bnl_movbe=T \
    -mGLOB_fp_speculation=GLOB_FP_SPECULATION_OFF \
    -mGLOB_extended_instructions=0x80 \
    -mP3OPT_use_mspp_call_convention \
    -mP2OPT_subs_out_of_bound=FALSE \
    -mP2OPT_disam_type_based_disam=2 \
    -mGLOB_ansi_alias \
    -mGLOB_no_zero_initialized_in_bss \
    -mIPOPT_ninl_limit=0 \
    -mIPOPT_ninl_user_level=0 \
    -mPGOPTI_value_profile_use=T \
    -mP2OPT_align_array_to_cache_line=FALSE \
    -mPAROPT_openmp=TRUE \
    -mP2OPT_hpo_omp_simd_only=FALSE \
    -mCG_stack_security_check=0x9 \
    -mP2OPT_gen_linux_const_pooling=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_opt_level=0 \
    -mIPOPT_args_in_regs=0 \
    -mP2OPT_disam_assume_nonstd_intent_in=FALSE \
    -mGLOB_imf_mapping_library=/opt/intel/compilers_and_libraries_2019.3.199/mac/bin/intel64/libiml_attr.dylib \
    -mP2OPT_hlo_embed_loopinfo \
    -mPGOPTI_gen_threadsafe_level=0 \
    -mIPOPT_obj_output_file_name=/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o \
    -mIPOPT_whole_archive_fixup_file_name=/var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199warchKiPbCw \
    -mGLOB_linker=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/ld \
    -mGLOB_driver_tempfile_name=/var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199tempfileXREfDv \
    -mGLOB_os_target=GLOB_OS_TARGET_MACH \
    -mGLOB_async_unwind_tables=TRUE \
    -mGLOB_obj_output_file=/Users/manfredo/Library/Developer/Xcode/DerivedData/ED2-bzpotpyhearnjhdlpmzxdtkugvki/Build/Intermediates.noindex/ED2.build/Debug/ED2.build/Objects-normal/x86_64/ed_state_vars.o \
    -mGLOB_source_dialect=GLOB_SOURCE_DIALECT_FORTRAN \
    -mP1OPT_source_file_name=/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.F90 \
    -mP1OPT_full_source_file_name=/Users/manfredo/Documents/Eclipse_workspace/ED2/ED/src/memory/ed_state_vars.F90 \
    -mP2OPT_symtab_type_copy=true \
    /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199kM95n8.i90

rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199dashvE6xeyP
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199dummyUlNCdy.c
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199xcrunEnVgc9
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199searchdirs8ZS3Q3
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199clangdashvNexo7g
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199kM95n8.i90
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199osN5bGsO
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199tosgqTU07
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199argy9wK7o
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199os8Wqp8f
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199tosQpVuoi
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199gdb_vP9VFkW
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_19996YWl4as_.s
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199tempfileXREfDv
rm /var/folders/yl/9ln6pnbs5k5_wrwqvz06t0100000gn/T/ifort-19_0_3_199argn5dvPZ

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Ronald,

Manfredo stated: The file at which the compilation stops is very large (27000 lines).

It is not completely clear as to if he meant at the command line (in the script/make file) or inside the compiler once starting to compile.

The only odd think I see in the -dryrun is: line 159

"-mGLOB_options_string=-I/Users..."

I am not sure if ifort will treat this equivalent to

-mGLOB_options_string="-I/Users..."

Jim Dempsey

Manfredo_d_
Beginner

The file ed_state_vars.F90 is the file which fails to compile. That file is ~27000 lines.