Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28494 Discussions

Comments requested on compiler install page

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Some of you have complained about the usability of the web page that the Intel compilers now put up when you go to install them. The purpose of the web page is to outline prerequisites, explain how the licenses work, and provide easy access to the release notes.
I can't make significant changes in the layout, but I can do small things to help, including making the "Install compiler" link more visible.
I have attached one version of this - please tell me if this helps, or what would make it better. Thanks for your input.
Please note that the "web page archive" requires MSIE to read. If this is a problem for some I can post it in an alternate format.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
keefer
Beginner
Steve,
I did find it a little confusing at first. Intel threw us a curve with the IVF vs. IVF-Pro installation. People who had not followed that thread last spring probably didn't understand the distinction. But after 10 minutes of pondering the message, I downloaded the update and installed it with no problem. There were several glitches with the MS .NET settings. I think many of us don't understand the relationship among the environment variables, the .cfg file settings and the settings in MS .NET.(e.g. are some settings in the registry and some in environment variables?) Also, many of us do have our source code on a different drive than the one we install the compiler on. I keep a copy of my dozen or so source files that constitute my major project in theBIN subdirectory that contains the compiler, as well as a batch file to compile them. I figure if everything is in the same directory, everything should find the files it needs.
Regards,
Keith
0 Kudos
hansr
Beginner
Steve,
I found two points beeing helpfull in your new page:
-- the blued install button
-- the Prerequisite Software remarks. So I can in the future buy only
MS C++ 2003 and need not MS VS 2003.
Thanks
Hans