Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compaq Visual Fortran Installation

Baolute_R_
Beginner

Hi all,

I own a copy of Compaq Visual Fortran (2000) and wanted to know if there was a way to install it on a Windows 10 machine. I have all of the installation disks and the key for install, but whenever I try to run it from the CD drive, it says that I cannot run it. 

If not, what are some workarounds that I can use?

Thanks,

Baolute

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I do not have Windows 10 installed, but this may work.

Using Windows Explorer, open the CD to view the directory.

Find the installation/setup file, but do not Open or double-click the file.

Instead, Right Click, and pick "Troubleshoot compatibility", then select Troubleshoot program, check The program worked on an earlier version of Windows, then Next, then pick a version. Probably Windows XP (service Pack 3).

See if that works.

Hopefully the programs performing the installations (called by the installer) inherit the compatibility settings of the program that spawned them.

After installation, you may need to set the compatibility for CVF etc.

If you have success, please report back to this forum for others to learn from your experience.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

The autorun installer on the CD requires 16-bit mode, but if you search down the CD you should find a 32-bit mode installer in \X86\SETUP.EXE.  Under Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit), it seemed advisable to install and run CVF under XPM (if you have a platform where that could be installed), but it's been said that CVF could run natively under Win10.

I think I'll try it on my Win10.  "world's #1 Fortran development suite for Windows."  I think I have the final update somewhere too.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

It's painful, ripping out all the bind(C) and installing 32-bit Microsoft C++ and adding __stdcall, still not done

Have to use C code for timer, unless I can look up how someone interfaced CVF to QueryPerformance.

The Fortran part runs and gives correct results.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have tried installing CVF on several recent systems, including Win7 and Win10. The 32-bit installer runs (you can see it in the list of processes), but does nothing. I have also heard from customers over the years who say that the installer runs but won't accept their serial number. There's nothing I can do to help with this.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

My CVF serial number was accepted, with normal installation on Win10, and, in the past, on win7/XPM.  I run X86\setup in cmd shell, not by double-clicking.

I found that compilation with 32-bit CL __stdcall and /MT on both CL and F90 makes an object which can be linked by CVF.  There are enough timed sequences showing the same performance as current ifort to believe that the C timer is working, but it's a clear demonstration of the progress made by ifort with OpenMP and simd even on the old Nehalem box which is the only one I have where win10 is satisfactory.  CVF is performing better under win10 than it did under win7/XPM.

I do wish Microsoft would stop notifying me to install win10 again on the laptops where it failed.  I actually found a notice on the Dell web site that win10 isn't supported by them on Core 2 Duo.  For my Ultrabook, perhaps it's a clue that the vendor's web site specifies very preliminary versions of win10 drivers (which are no better than current ones).  So I see no possibility of running a single version of Windows on various boxes (unless I accept the power-cut method for shutting down win10 on Ultrabook).

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

CVF will not link when -debug[:full] is set.  Advisor and VTune don't see -debug:partial symbols anyway.

dfdev crashes when first opened, but seems to be capable of running afterwards.  Current Advisor XE is like that on win8.1 too.

Help Workshop isn't working.

0 Kudos
Baolute_R_
Beginner

Thanks Tim and Jim, your process worked for the installation. In the end, I opened up the CD instead of running it and navigated to the x86 installation files. The entire installation ran smoothly, and so far at least the IDE runs fine for me.

0 Kudos