Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28632 Discussions

Compaq Visual Fortran Norman Lawrence

rmoortgat
New Contributor I

Dear All,

I wonder if the source codes of abovementioned book still can be found somewhere. The links mentioned in the book don’t work anymore.
I also would like to know if this book is still relevant and can be used with Intel Visual Fortran.
I’m a retired structural engineer and refreshing my knowledge of Fortran.
Regards,
Roger

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Here you go, I believe these are the files from Lawrence.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I believe the book (I have a copy, but not the files) is still largely relevant. The publisher is now part of Elsevier, and they still list the book for sale, but I don't see a link for the download. Contact them at Home - Elsevier E-Commerce Support Center about it and let us know what you find.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Here you go, I believe these are the files from Lawrence.  

0 Kudos
rmoortgat
New Contributor I

This is the answer I got from Elsevier:

Hi Roger,

It seems here that the physical book has already been out of print. Since that is the case, our commisioned sites has also been decommissioned.

For this, there is just an ebook version of the book which is left in the market for purchase.

Regarding the website, this is no longer available. 

Should you have any further question, you may visit our support hub https://service.elsevier.com/app/overview/elsevier/ or contact us through phone, chat or email. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you and have a wonderful weekend ahead.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor III

Be aware that most if not all of those examples will fail in a 64bit build as there are many pointer-sized integers declared as hard code 4 byte integers..

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Reminds me of the story I remember about Patton asking to patrol onto the other side of the Rhine, wanted to take a look.  Eisenhower said squad ok, when pushed.  Patton told Division OC take your squad to the other side of the Rhine. 

It compiles fine on Windows 10, but not Windows preview 11, someone has to be first across the Rhine.  At least Intel is warned. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Wrong place, sorry for last post, but having the code helps a lot with book.  If you want something done in Fortran then learning by fixing this code is a good way to waste a weekend.  

0 Kudos
rmoortgat
New Contributor I

Well. I don't run, fish, play golf nor tennis, so I can as well waste my weekend with that. This is not the only useless thing I do. I learn morse, solve differential equations and study Latin, all about Caesar crossing the Rubicon.

Anyway I built the first example on my win11 Zbook and it ran without a problem.

Roger

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III
Graeci linguam Latinam discere

Quod legioni nonae factum est, quaestio sola interest.

0 Kudos
rmoortgat
New Contributor I

Res sunt sicut sunt.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Fac illud iocum. Irascetur nobis turba.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Sadly, Intel does not provide Latin translation as part of this board.  When you consider that French, Spanish and the Romance Languages are really Latin run through a crowd of people, one must ponder the injustices in life. 

0 Kudos