Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compaq Visual Fortran and Vista

job_baar
Beginner

I know: this is the IVF forum, but still ... I've just purchased a new notebook with Windows Vista. And I tried repeatedly to install Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6 , but without success. Visual Developer Studio will not start up at all, also when I try to run it as adminstrator. Has anybody been successful in installing DVF 6.6 on Vista? If so, I'll appreciate if he/she can share some tips with me.

I'm not ready to make a very substantial investment in IVF w/ IMSL libraries plus one or two other DVF compatible commercial libraries that I have acquired over the years@ an expensethat will exceed the purchase cost of my new DellXPS M1330 notebook!So if I can avoid that, that will make me very happy.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gib
New Contributor II
You could try asking this question at comp.lang.fortran
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
It's fine to ask CVF questions here.

When I tried this, about a year and a half ago, it worked for me to run Developer Studio as administrator, though I did not test it extensively. I think there are some others here who are still using CVF and are using Vista, so you may get some more responses.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It's not clear to me whether this is a report of installation failure. As Vista does not support the 16-bit installation in the CD autorun, it is necessary to browse down on the CDto the 32-bit installer, and run that as administrator.
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

Try

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

to install XP on top of Vista, theninstall CVF 6.6 on the XP virtual OS. DevStudio 97 isn't supported on Vista (or XP for that matter) so CVF doesn't install on Vista, at least not in a stable way.

Gerry

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Tim shows how to install CVF - I have done this. But I have seen other reports of DevStudio not starting in the past year or so. I know it worked when I tried it. Perhaps later this week I'll try it again on a current Vista system.
0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

What happened in the past is over. The OP has reported what happens now. DevStudio 97 and with it VC++ 6 (and hence CVF) hasn't been supported by Microsoft since late 2005. Since Vista's release it has had innumerable fixes, updates, SP1, with more to come, and just about anything can happen with software that wasn't designed with Vista compatibility in mind. That's the way it is.

Gerry

0 Kudos
g_f_thomas
Beginner

I just discovered that I do have VS6/VC++6/CVF6.6C installed on Vista!

IIRC, turn UAC off (it's a nuisance anyway), install, ignore all warnings, and presto! I might have looked at

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=167

to get it done, I can't remember. The good news is that CVF works just fine on Vista, thoughI'm going to follow my own advise and use a VMand install it there.

Gerry

ps I think I attached a .png of the About CVF [removed by Steve - please don't post serial numbers]

0 Kudos