Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler 15, update 1 allows NAME= specifier in an ABSTRACT INTERFACE; is it right?

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

As per the current Fortran standard (C1254), my reading is NAME= specifier should not be allowed in an ABSTRACT INTERFACE

C1254.png

but the compiler raises no errors or warnings with the following code:

MODULE m

USE, INTRINSIC :: ISO_C_BINDING, ONLY : C_INT
      !..
      IMPLICIT NONE

!..
      ABSTRACT INTERFACE

FUNCTION foo() RESULT(RetVal) BIND(C, NAME="foo")

IMPORT :: C_INT

!.. Function result
            INTEGER(C_INT) :: RetVal

END FUNCTION foo

SUBROUTINE bar() BIND(C, NAME="bar")

END SUBROUTINE bar

END INTERFACE      

END MODULE m

Comments?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You are correct. I think we recently fixed some issues in this area - I will check on Monday.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This proved to be a more interesting issue than I first thought.

First of all, you are indeed correct - NAME= is not allowed to be specified for a proc-language-binding-spec in an abstract interface, in both F2003 and F2008. The compiler similarly fails to give an error for this usage in the interface for a dummy argument. Both of these have been reported as issue DPD200365350.

I also noticed that the standard changed subtly in this area between F2003 and F2008. In F2003, you were not allowed BIND(C) for an internal procedure at all. F2008 permits it as long as you don't also say NAME=. We currently enforce the F2003 language and disallow this - I have added this to our list of things to do for F2008 (DPD200365351).

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have a related, but different question. What is the purpose of specifying a name with a NAME= clause, given that an abstract interface is a prototype (or template, if you will) of a not-yet-declared procedure? The name is to be expected in a subsequent declaration such as

procedure (abstract_proc_prototype) :: proc_abc

and "proc_abc" is the name of the procedure. We could even have more than one such name, as in

procedure (abstract_proc_prototype) :: proc_abc, proc_pqr,..

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There is no purpose - that's why it's not allowed by the language.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

And that's why I brought this up: I was reviewing some code in our group and noticed a specific interface to an external procedure that got introduced inadvertently into an abstract interface block.  Obviously it didn't make sense.  So we figured the best way to prevent this in the future will be if the compiler flagged it as an issue.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Fixed for a release later this year.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Very good, thanks.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Steve,

Per Intel compiler 16 fixes list (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-2016-composer-edition-compilers-fixes-list), it appears DPD200365350 was considered resolved.  However it only seems to have fixed the subroutine aspect; the issue remains with function statements:

module m

use, intrinsic :: iso_c_binding, only : c_int

implicit none

abstract interface

function foo() result(RetVal) bind(C, name="foo")

import :: c_int

!.. Function result
         integer(c_int) :: RetVal

end function foo

end interface

end module m
Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran Compiler 16.0.1.146 [Intel(R) 64]...
m.f90

m - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Argh... Ok, thanks.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ok, this time for sure! Should be fixed properly in 16.0.3.

0 Kudos