Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler 2020 installation broke installation VS 2017 Prof

Neels
New Contributor II

After installing:

parallel_studio_xe_2020_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup

It stops at about 10% of "Installing component 73 of 73: Visual Studio 2017 integration" and the buttons on the dialog box becomes inactive.

I have tried to repair it,

Then I uninstalled all Fortran installations, and uninstalled VS2017, and reinstalled VS2017 and tried to install XE2020 again but it stops at the same place.

Then I tried again to repair and it does the VS integration but when I open VS the compiler is not listed under "Tools, Options, Intel Compilers and Tools"

I am using Win7, 64bit.

Please help!! This has now taken two days already.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Your solutions are:

1. move from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - it really is better - if you cannot afford Windows 10 move onto the Windows 10 Preview Slow Ring and it gives you a great updated windows, I have been on preview for 5 years, occasionally you have problems, but going back to old Windows 10 is not an option once you get used to the new features. I am on fast ring - stay on slow ring and life is great. 

2. VS 2017 does not play nice with the latest Fortran - move to VS 2019 Community Preview - 

3. My 12 year old daughter lives in the fast ring and she has never complained

Enjoy life

PS -- It will take you less than 2 days to do this and your life will be a lot better - unless you are on a company computer and your admin rights are locked 

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

Thanks John,

I tried Win10 and too many things stopped working so I reverted. My wife is on Win10 and I have to support that so I know about the nice and not so nice parts.

Seems I solved my problem, it started with Version19 update 5. I uninstalled 20.0, reinstalled 19.4 and suddenly everything works again.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Neels:

That was option 3.  

merry holidays

John

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

On some systems VS integration step of the installation process takes longer than usual. 

VS 2017 is supported with Parallel Studio XE 2020.  Additional system requirements are listed in Compiler Release Notes https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-fortran-compiler-191-for-windows-release-notes-for-intel-parallel-studio-xe-2020

0 Kudos
Neels
New Contributor II

Devorah,

19.4 and earlier works, 19.5 and later does not. I am aware of the time issue and left it for 8 hours. No change. All I had was what is shown in the attached picture. As you can see all three buttons are grayed out and inactive. The dialog box is totally unresponsive and I had to manually kill it using Task Manager.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

I have tested VS2017 + PSXE 2020 installation. I am seeing integration step taking a long time and incomplete integration with VS2017. I will report this issue to our install engineering team. 

I suggest to move to VS2019 (as has been mentioned above). If you absolutely must use VS 2017, some workarounds are listed in this article https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-tools-integration-to-vs2017-issue

0 Kudos