Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Compiler for Fortran

shadab_khatib
Beginner
Hello,
I am new to this language, where should I begin from and which is the most basic compiler I should choose to do so? I will use Intel Visual Fortran Compiler but I need to have some exposure to the language to use the advanced development environments.
So can anyone provide me some guidelines about the simpler and easier to handle compilers?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
rase
New Contributor I
There is no such thing like the "most basic compiler". All Fortran compilers for Windows/Visual Studio support the full standard, most of them the 2003 version, some with features of the 2008 standard. From the various Fortran compilers I used in my professional life the Intel Visual Fortran environment is the most powerful, in terms of ease of use, user support, debugging and performance. There are many sample programs in the system folder which might help you to overcome the first hurdles. Get a good textbook to learn the basics of the language, or take an introductory course (will be not easy to find one), but stick to the Intel Visual Fortran environment.
0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II
Liverpool University has a number of Fortran courses ranging from a 75 minute overview to several days. You may be able to get access to the course materials from them (I certainly did when I was working as an academic - not sure how restrictive they are on this).
http://www.liv.ac.uk/HPC/F90page.html
0 Kudos