Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Could not find lld-link.exe

van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

We are using Visual Studio 2022 version 17.4.4 and Intel Fortran 2023.0.0. Visual Studio also has C++ installed (32 and 64 bit) as well as all the LLVM options. We have spent some time working through issues to get our code to compile with IFX (logged a number of support requests).

So now finally it all compiles.

But it does not link in some cases and you get:

xilib error #10037 could not find 'lld-link.exe'
Lib: spawn_errorno_default: spawn('c:\PROA~2\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\20230~1.0\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe') failed.

I see some old posts in here about fixing the path and such, but those were ooolllllddd...

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel

For building with ifx - are you using all 64bit tools? Are you using VS cmd interface or GUI VS IDE to build your projects?

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

I was using the GUI. All 64 bit. I have opened a support ticket, and send them a small project to reproduce this.

Devorah_H_Intel

What is the case number? I will take a look. Thank you.

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Support ticket 05717043. Note that if I create a new Intel Fortran 64 bit console application and switch to IFX, it compiles and links fine. So it is not something that I did not install. It might be something in our projects or some setting in it? The support ticket has a small solution attached which reproduces the issue for me.

Ron_Green

xilink is used by Profile Guided Optimization, PGO.  Check your settings and turn it off.  For most Fortran applications PGO doesn't help much, maybe 0-4% better performance AT BEST.  

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

I have looked but I do not see that option anywhere.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The Fortran integration in Visual Studio always uses xilink, even without PGO/IPO. In the past, when I have had issues with xilink, I renamed it and then copied link.exe to be named xilink.exe.

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Thank you Steve, I shall wait and see what the Intel developers say from the Support request, maybe they have a cleaner solution. I shall paste what they say here. We have taken some time to get a very large project to compile with IFX, so I am curious to get it to link to see if it will run.

Does Intel Fortran IFX let you use Address Sanitizer? We tried using it with our C++ code but if you have a lot of mixed code, it seems you need to have it everywhere, Fortran and C++ and the classic compiler does not support it.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Did you try to download the full HPC Toolkit and build?

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

If I install these two:

w_BaseKit_p_2023.0.0.25940_offline.exe

w_HPCKit_p_2023.0.0.25931_offline.exe

Then you do NOT get this error: xilib error #10037 could not find 'lld-link.exe'.

So it seems this install: 

w_fortran-compiler_p_2023.0.0.25579_offline.exe

Is missing some key component.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

The instructions tell you to install the base kit first, it has the programs needed to run the HPC with Fortran.  You should also pick up the 32 bit base kit for MKL otherwise some older MKL programs will not run.  They could not fit all of the modules into the maximum size allowed for the installer, or so I am given to understand.  

0 Kudos
van_der_merwe__ben
New Contributor I

Intel Support says:

There seems to be an error in the standalone package. Unfortunately, not only one. I am already pushing this to be fixed in the upcoming release.

In the meantime, instead of having to install all base / HPC components, on my side the error disappeared if I install only the standalone version of C++ and Fortran. So I hope the team can fix that issue very fast.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The base kit is not required for Fortran. (If you want MKL, it is in the base kit but can also be installed independently).  https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/oneapi-standalone-components.html

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Things I learnt today in programming and other sweatshop stuff.  

1. Read your email's carefully, Saturday morning at 11:30 am is not the same as Sunday morning at 11:30 am.

2. Our kind, using that term loosely, are now called canaries in the programming world, we are given stuff to test before the great unwashed and it can fall over.  A bit like the 10th Legion in Scotland.  

3. VS 2022 Preview Version 5 has added an automatic spellchecker, - it is interesting.

4. It is easier to just install the base kit and the HPC than look for all the packages, but Steve is correct. 

5. @mecej4 does not post as often as he used to, but they are always pertinent

6. Be kind to librarians

7. Be kind to the nice people who manage the Intel Fortran Forum

8. A ten year old NUC will not run the accelerometer programs nicely, and for some reason they will not update to the latest KB package. 

9. Intel Fortran is great, except when it is not. 

10. The ten year old NUC does not have a com port 1 installed, every other computer I have does, it makes counting difficult to find the actual com ports used for the accelerometer. 

11. The accelerometers runs nicely on the 10 year old NUC and faster than a modern NUC till you want to run two and debug.

12. There is no 12, I am a decimal human

0 Kudos