Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

DVF6 crashes when trying to OPEN a file

rbisco
Beginner

Yesterday Ive tried to use DVF6 (I do very little programming these days) but every time I try to use the OPEN menu command (either by clicking on the icon or scrolling down to the Open menu command) DVF crashes (Microsoft Developer Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close). Ive now spent a whole day trying to understand why but without success. Ive looked on the internet but could not find a similar problem. Ive removed and re-installed DVF but the problem is still there.

DVF was working fine until last time I used it (few months ago). In the meantime Ive installed all the usual Microsoft updates, Norton updates, and other software updates (cad programs mostly). I have Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition also installed, if that is important.

I have an HP 8710w mobile workstation with Windows XP Pro SP3.

Any hint would be very much appreciated!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
qolin
Novice

No hints I'm afraid, just a bit of solidarity. I have exactly the same problem with my CVF 6.6c installation. I haven't spent much time trying to figure it out as my code is now starting to use F2003 features not available in CVF.

I guess its caused by one of the MS updates in the last few months.

Qolin

0 Kudos
Hitoshi
Novice

I am sorry this will not give you any useful hint, but may offer one of your future possibility.
The following environment works fine for me (I checked it today).
- Windows XP SP3 mode under windows 7 X64
- XP mode memory 1GB, latest update applied
- DVF 6.6C installed on XP mode
I did not test many samples but I could open a sample CELSICON and could compile both Debug and Release mode.
During CVF installation, I must enter the ID number of "original" DVF.
This means that I have DVF V5-CD...original CD, DVF V6-CD ...update CD, DVF V65CD...update CD. From V65 to V66, V66 to V66c ...only update download files, I began installation from V65-CD, and during installation, I was requested to enter both ID numbers of V65-update CD and of V5-original CD.

Hitoshi

0 Kudos
anthonyrichards
New Contributor III

Hopefully, you have a system restore checkpoint forthe most recentdate when youhad no problems. I would then recommend doing a system restore to that date and trying again.

0 Kudos
rbisco
Beginner

Thanks everybody for your answers, at least it's good to know that I'm not alone with this problem!

Apart from my HP mobile workstation where the error occurs, I have a DELL Precision desktop with same OS andsame MS updates (although not the same Office and less software in general): I've installed DVF6 on it and it works fine!

I guess I'll buy IVF 11.1 at this point!

0 Kudos
rbisco
Beginner
I forgot to ask one last question: do you guys think that installing Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 6 could help?
0 Kudos
rbisco
Beginner

I found the solution to the problem. Using Windows Event Properties (Computer Management -> System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application) I was able to see that the Application Error for dfdev.exe was caused by faulting module devshl.dll 6.00.8168.1.

Then I checked in the Visual Studio 6 Service Pack 6 package and found a newer version of devshl.dll. Therefore I decided to install the Service Pack but it didn't install. I don't know why, it ends unsuccessfully without giving any explanation. Any idea anyone?

However at that point I simply copied the newer devshl.dll file over the older one and it works, I can use the Open menu item in DVF6 without crashes.

0 Kudos
qolin
Novice

Well done Rbisco! I installed the service pack and now my open dialogs work as well !!!

Cheers,

Qolin

0 Kudos