Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28385 Discussions

Debug issue relating to allocatable variables in user defined type constructs (Status)

Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

For a while now I have been unable to interrogate the contents of allocatable variables, that are declared within a user defined data type, the MS Visual Studio debugger. Screen grab below shows an example data structure used to store IGES CAD data entries to illustrate this: 

Stephen_Sutcliffe_0-1595763025794.png

There is no problem with the actual data as the program continues normally even though the Watch Window claims that the allocatable arrays are 'Undefined pointer/arrays'

I don't remember exactly when this fault was introduced. I do recall that it did used to be possible to interrogate these types of variables back in 2015/16 I guess.  I am aware that other posts have been made on this subject in the past so I am wondering if Intel have:

a) identified where the problem lies and who is responsible for fixing it MS or Intel?

b) are still actively trying to find a solution

c) have any idea when/if it will ever be resolved

With each new release of either VS or FORTRAN compilers I look to see if this problem has been resolved only to be disappointed each time.

I reported this to Intel Premier Support a few years ago but the case simply went cold with no resolution.

My current work round involves copying the allocated data to a local copy (outside of the TYPE construct) where I can interrogate the allocated arrays with no problem. This approach can get tedious and I don't want to have special debug code clogging up the sources so I would rather avoid having to do this.

If I am missing a trick somewhere I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Devorah_H_Intel

Fix will be available in the upcoming oneAPI 2021.2 update release. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
36 Replies
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Glad to see someone is looking into this at Intel.

@Devorah_H_Intel Please refer to case DOQG-1964 that I referred to earlier in this thread. A reproducer is attached to this earlier post called DebugBug.f90.  I sent this reproducer to Premier Support back in August with comments to show how the bug gets introduced. I have not tried it on the newest OneAPI beta version. "Better the devil you know" and all that.

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@Stephen_Sutcliffe , @NsK ,

See this thread, the problem persists with the latest from what I see.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II
@Devorah_H_Intel wrote:

@FortranFan please share the case# or attach a reproducer.

@Devorah_H_Intel , please also look at case # DOQG-1548.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

MS has historically been deaf to requests from the Intel Fortran team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this surprises you because?

Interestingly the Windows 10 development team actually appears to be quite responsive to problems.  

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

DOQG-1548 was not fixed yet.

DOQG-1964 was not fixed yet.

0 Kudos
NsK
Novice

Happy New Year everyone!

@Devorah_H_Intel, any update?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel
0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Fix will be available in the upcoming oneAPI 2021.2 update release. 

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sutcliffe
New Contributor II

Glad to hear this. Appreciate this has been finally looked into at last. The obvious question is:

When will the oneAPI 2021.2 update be available?

Another question is,

Will this fix cover all the tickets mentioned on this thread.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

1. In March

2.  The fixes are for 

DOQG-1548 

DOQG-1964  

0 Kudos
Giannakos__Vassileio

Greetings,

does anyone know if this issue is resolved? And if so, in which update?

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

"Tell us what you think"

But nobody appears to be listening as I am certain that a lot of complaints requesting to stop asking this question.

O.P.

A cocky workaround is to use ASSOCIATE to reference the member variable. This is relatively low overhead and can be conditionally compiled for debugging.

!DIR$ IF DEFINED(CROCKY)
ASSOCIATE CROCKY_I=>FOO%X%I
CONTINUE ! BREAK HERE
END ASSOCIATE
!DIR$ ENDIF

Jim Demspey

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
gdiaz
Beginner

Well, I just installed the oneAPI 2021.2 and the problem that started in 2012 regarding the modules being able to define structured data types and be able to download them in eclipse, still does not show the content. Hopefully, they can fix this problem. We have been there for 9 years !!!!

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

@gdiaz   - the attached image shows Eclipse IDE

The Eclipse plugin we provide is for C++ only.  We do not supply plugin for Fortran.  So the debugger Eclipse is using is just GDB - it does not have our Fortran Expression Evaluator which for Visual Studio only.

For Linux use Intel® Distribution for GDB* for CLI.

0 Kudos
gdiaz
Beginner

And do you plan to incorporate it into FORTRAN or will it only be through the visual studio version?

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

I will bring it up with our IDE team. At this point, there are no plans to provide Eclipse IDE support for Intel Fortran Compiler. 

0 Kudos