Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Debugging COMMON variables in submodule

ereisch
New Contributor II

I'm starting to experiment with submodules in my mostly-F77 program, and am encountering an issue while trying to debug.  I have a submodule defined in the usual way, and also have some files #included that define some COMMON variables.  When I build the file and run it, things seem fine.  But when I try to debug in GDB, I cannot examine the COMMON variables as GDB reports "no symbol <foo> in current context."

When I type "info locals", I receive a list of local variables, but the COMMON variables are listed as:

module@submodule::common_var

...the syntax for which GDB doesn't like when I try "print"-ing it.  Is there a.) a trick to get GDB to allow me to inspect COMMON variables, and b.) (for purely academic interest) why are these symbols being renamed in the debugging table to include the module and submodule names?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

associate (d_common_var => common_var)
  continue ! place break here, use locally defined reference c_common_var
end associate

You can also use a pointer. In older versions of the compiler (pre-associate) I would use pointers initialized in conditional code for debugging aids.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
ereisch
New Contributor II

@jimdempseyatthecove , unfortunately, ASSOCIATE is not a workable solution for me; the COMMON in question has a large number of variables, and more importantly, vectors.

But if I understand your subtext properly, does that mean that a COMMON defined in a SUBMODULE (or  even just a module?) has different linkage than one defined elsewhere?

0 Kudos
ereisch
New Contributor II
MODULE MY_MODULE
INTERFACE
MODULE SUBROUTINE MY_SUBMODULE( VAR1, VAR2 ) BIND(C)
  USE, INTRINSIC  :: ISO_C_BINDING
  INTEGER(KIND=C_INT32_T), INTENT(IN) :: VAR1
  INTEGER(KIND=C_INT32_T), INTENT(IN) :: VAR2
END SUBROUTINE MY_SUBMODULE
SUBMODULE (MY_MOD) MY_SUBMODULE__
CONTAINS
  MODULE PROCEDURE MY_SUBMODULE
  IMPLICIT NONE

INTEGER*4 MAX_VAL
  COMMON/MEMORY_PARMS/ MAX_VAL

MAX_VAL = 1

END PROCEDURE MY_SUBMODULE
END SUBMODULE MY_SUBMODULE__

gdb ./test_program

(gdb) p max_val
No symbol "max_val" in current context.
(gdb) info locals
my_module@my_submodule__::max_val = 0
<...>
(gdb) p my_module@my_submodule__::max_val
A syntax error in expression, near '@my_submodule__::max_val'.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Then (I haven't tried this) in place of the associate, place a CALL DEBUG_xxx()

Where DEBUG_xxx is a CONTAINS subroutine in the module (xxx). This may provide the variables in the scope of the subroutine to be examined without decorating it with somewhere@something.

Note, I've seen where the compiler won't generate debug symbols for the variables not used in a procedure (IOW placing them out of scope). This would be an easy experiment for you to try.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Why not just declare MAX_VAL in MY_MOLULE? MAX_VAL is then shared with the submolules and can be shared external to the module with USE MY_MOLDULE in place of the common block declaration.

0 Kudos
ereisch
New Contributor II

Because there are a great number of variables in this COMMON, and are needed in lots of places other than MY_MODULE.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Well if it is just a question of replacing the common decl with use my_mymodule is that a big job? Even if there are a few hundred occurrences?

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

@ereisch ,

You may want to also inquire about this at the Fortran Discourse site (https://fortran-lang.discourse.group/) and with the GNU community, for the matter may have more to do with some details/tricks or issues with GDB than possibly with Intel Fortran.  You may find the input by readers on such forums more relevant to your inquiry.

With Intel Fortran and its integration with Visual Studio, a variable in a named COMMON in a submodule implementation appears the same as in external procedures, the far more common scenario (!).

vs.PNG

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

GDB is not Fortran-aware.

If you are on linux, try 'gdb-ia' which came with PXSE.  It is gdb made Fortran aware.

for oneAPI compiler Classic, try 'gdb-oneapi'.  I am pretty sure that is more Fortran aware also.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Submodules are one of my favourite additions in the later Fortran standards and I use them extensively. I have no experience with common and modules, it is some years since the use of common block disappeared from my code to be replaced by modules. The problem you have is one of the debugger integration in visual studio which has several problems of this nature. However, if you are going to make use of submodules I would suggest that goes hand in hand with elimination of common blocks and all those common block include files. It depends on the way your program uses common if the same block is used to map different variables in different places you have a large task that may or may not be worth fixing. If you are just sharing some variables across a bundle of routines then having the the common as module variables and then grouping your routines that use  those variables in submodules of that module is often not a big task. You only need interfaces for those routines used external to the module or used across sibling sub-modules you don't need to create interfaces for every routine in general.

0 Kudos