Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Deftofd not running automatically, resource.fd not updating

TonyRichards
Novice

I am converting some legacy code Windows Dialog using VS2019 and the Intel Classic Fortran compiler provided in OneAPI HPC++.

I am finding that the Resource.FD file is not being automatically reconstructed as the Resource.h file is being modified and saved to reflect changes made to dialog resources.

My Resource.fd remains stubbornly at the date it was last created in 2004!

The main problem is I wanted to change the ID of a control, so I changed it in the resource editor and the resource.H and (project).rc changed to reflect this. The resource.fd I use to build with did not change. It is now out of step with the resource.h, so that when I recompile, the new dialog control ID is not defined in resource.fd,  cue build errors.

I thpought that the following custom compile step would suffice if added to the debug configuration:

deftofd "$(iInputPath)" "$(InputDir)$(InputName)".fd

but nothing happens to the .fd file. At least the build doesn't crash and burn though!

Any Ideas?

P.S. I have no idea why the arguments to deftofd are written so. I copied them from a working project.

P.P.S I tried copying deftofd.exe from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler\2021.4.0\windows\bin\intel64_ia32 folder where I found it, but cannot run it in command window in my project directory, as instead of running

C:\(myprojectdirectory)\Dftofd resource.h resource.fd

it tries to run C:\(myprojectdirectory)\Intel64\deftofd

and cannot find it - of course!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My first recommendation would be to create a new Windowing application project, replace the sample sources with your own, and try a build. See also Using the Resource Editor to Design a Dialog Box (intel.com) which in the section "To save the dialog box as a resource file", tells you how to configure the project to run deftofd.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

My first recommendation would be to create a new Windowing application project, replace the sample sources with your own, and try a build. See also Using the Resource Editor to Design a Dialog Box (intel.com) which in the section "To save the dialog box as a resource file", tells you how to configure the project to run deftofd.

0 Kudos
TonyRichards
Novice

Thanks Steve.

I skipped the create new Window project, but tried the recommendation in the "Using the Resource Editor" link, and added the Custom Build step while selecting the resource.H in the Soultion pane and THEN going to View...Properties etc. and adding the command line.

That worked!

I had previously just selected Debug...(Project name) Debug Properties.. and filled in the custom Build step there, which didn't work for me.

thanks

Anthony Richards

0 Kudos