Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Doctor Fortran's next chapter

Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
16 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Alas, Steve, the announcement we hoped would never come has arrived!  First of all, congratulations on your retirement and best wishes toward all your future endeavors.  Secondly, please note no words can adequately describe how much the Fortran community in general and Intel customers in particular have benefited from your contributions and enormous service, perhaps the best we can say is 'thank you'!  Thirdly, I'm most happy to read of your post-retirement plans, especially the part about the readers here and the Fortranners everywhere and the standards committee too will hopefully still get to hear from you and gain from your advice.

Wish you merry travels, wonderful health, happy family, and some more 'coding' along the way!

All the very best,

0 Kudos
NotThatItMatters
Beginner

Thank you for all the great help over the years.  And remember, "it's not a bug, it's a feature."

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

The end of an era! All the best for the future and many thanks for the enormous amount if dedication, insight, patience and good humor that you have put into supporting the Fortran community via these forums.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Steve, thanks for guiding countless users over the years with your expertise and insights into Fortran and compilers as they have evolved over the years. So many times, I have searched for some Fortran related topic and to my surprise I find the answer to my question in an old post by you in Comp.Lang.Fortran or similar site! We are pleased to hear that you will continue to participate in these forums.

0 Kudos
Les_Neilson
Valued Contributor II

Steve,

I echo the thanks and appreciation expressed by others here, and wish you well in your retirement.

0 Kudos
Robert_van_Amerongen
New Contributor III

Steve,

thank you for your inspiring and prompt help. All the best for the future.

Robert

0 Kudos
OP1
New Contributor II

Steve,

Congratulations on your retirement! Your patient support and coaching on this forum has always been an invaluable resource for us Fortran users. Thank you for bringing a perfect mix of unmatched technical depth, clarity - and a bit of welcome levity at times - to our (sometimes poorly formulated) questions.

Best wishes for this exciting new chapter of your life!

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

From one (old) ex-DEC software engineer to another, well done!

We often hear the term "standing on the shoulders of others". In some rare instances, "others" is a rather short list, you are (were) one of those rare instances. I wish you well in your retirement.

Jim Dempsey
former DEC software engineer
(Maynard, Bldg 12, across from the grinders sandwich shop)

0 Kudos
Jacob_Williams
New Contributor I

Godspeed, Steve. Thanks for all the help over the years!

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Steve, the very best wishes for your next chapter.  Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience in this forum and the Dr. Fortran blogs to help us write better Fortran.  Thank you for guiding the Intel Fortran forums to be an active and helpful place where we can get and share Fortran knowledge.

Regards,
Greg

0 Kudos
Andreas_Z_
New Contributor I

Dear Dr. Fortran,

Great story for people like me who have been using Fortran only for a bit more than a decade and missed all of the pre-Compaq and pre-Intel times!

I wish you all the best for your well-deserved retirement! I'm sure you will find great new things to explore - and at the same time I am also happy to hear that you will, from time to time, still assist us with your advice in this forum and posts from Dr. Fortran. I very much appreciate all the effort you put into your work both as a compiler developer, standards committee member and as an advisor to the whole community from beginners to experienced Fortran programmers.

Best regards,
Andi

0 Kudos
Arjen_Markus
Honored Contributor I

I can only join the chorus: thanks for all those years of wise replies!

Here, though, is a non-Fortran related remark: your post on the advent of Terry Pratchett's death was probably the one-but-final push I required to start reading his Disk World series. (The final one was acquiring and e-reader ;) )

0 Kudos
David_DiLaura1

Steve,

All the best to you! I've been using Fortran for 46 years, provided by all manner of compilers. From that perspective I can say that the DEC/Intel compiler is the best I've ever used. But just as importantly, your help, insights, and contributions these past 10 years deserve high praise. Thank you!

David

0 Kudos
Anthony_Richards
New Contributor I

Hi Steve,

I hope you have a long enjoyable retirement.
Have Intel developed a clone to try and replace you?

Many thanks for all your great advice and assistance over the years.

Very best regards

Anthony Richards

P.S. If you are anywhere near my age (68, retired 6 months), make sure to get a regular PSA test.

0 Kudos
rase
New Contributor I

Steve, I appreciated very much your help and advice in this forum. I hope you will join us in the future from time to time to share your knowledge you collected over the many years in the field, from VMS to Windows 10. We will miss you and your wisdom. Enjoy your retirement and stay interested in Fortran.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos