Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Documentation shortcuts

jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

In prior versions of Intel Parallel Studio you could open the compiler documentation from

Start | All Programs | Intel Parallel Studio ... | Documentation | {select the one you want}

This is not present in the V16.0 update 1 version. Meaning I either have to launch MS VS, then click on Help, or have to browse folders to locate the documentation then add folder to Start Menu-sub folder, or task bar or desktop. I would like to suggest you add the Documentation folder branch (and shortcuts) back into the Start Menu.

Note, often I refer to the documentation while responding to forum posts and I find it inconvenient to launch MS VS in order to access the particular document file.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks, I'll pass that on. I don't know why it was removed.

file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/IntelSWTools/documentation_2016/en/compiler_f/common/core/index.htm is a shortcut you can use,

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

I found a link to it the other day from the start menu under the "Getting Started" folder in the "Visual Fortran Compiler (Update XX)" item, but I would also appreciate a more direct or obvious link.

Do the release notes for the Fortran compiler get installed as well these days?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Compiler release notes are online only - what gets installed is a suite-level release note (with links). The FAQ (linked in this forum's announcement) has the release notes link as well.

The current Start Menu has a link to the "Getting Started" document (the one that comes up after installation), but it only has a link to the documentation folder, which isn't all that helpful as there is no "index" file to open there. Time to have another chat with the documentation manager.... We used to have a direct start menu link to the docs - I don't know why it was removed. Oh, the FAQ also has the documentation link. (Really, the FAQ is very helpful. I encourage you all to check it out - it answers a lot of the questions I see in this forum.)

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Steve Lionel (Intel) wrote:

The current Start Menu has a link to the "Getting Started" document (the one that comes up after installation), but it only has a link to the documentation folder, which isn't all that helpful as there is no "index" file to open there.

There's a "Getting Started" folder as well - the Fortran relevant page under that folder has a "Documentation and Resources" expandable section down the bottom with better local links.  The problem for me was that I've been using the product for a couple of years now, so a folder called "Getting Started" was not something I intuitively thought to look in.  Perhaps it could be renamed "Been Going Too Long".

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

jimdempseyatthecove wrote:

.. Note, often I refer to the documentation while responding to forum posts and I find it inconvenient to launch MS VS in order to access the particular document file.

Jim, Steve:

What I find more useful for forum discussions and responding to forum posts is the "User and Reference Guide" link that is available at software.intel.com: https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-fortran-compiler-16.0-user-and-reference-guide.

This way, one can redirect a reader to the same information by providing a hyperlink to the page in the online documentation.

Is there a quick link to this online documentation for forum readers?  Will it be possible to provide a shortcut to this documentation, say, on the forum page under Announcements?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

FortranFan, as I mentioned, the FAQ, which is linked from the forum announcements, has the current documentation link, as well as lots of other helpful information. If there's something else you'd like to see there, let me know.

Ian, I mentioned the Getting Started page just for completeness - I don't find its documentation link to be all that helpful.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

FortranFan, as I mentioned, the FAQ, which is linked from the forum announcements, has the current documentation link, as well as lots of other helpful information. If there's something else you'd like to see there, let me know. ..

Steve,

The link under FAQ now only has the label, "Documentation" - I suggest making the label a bit more descriptive, say something like "Documentation - Intel Fortran Compiler XX User and Reference Guide", for the link that comes up does indeed have the title "Intel Fortran Compiler XX User and Reference Guide."

Note the term "User and Reference Guide" is what had stayed imprinted in my mind as being the useful material.  In an earlier incarnation of Intel product suite (either Composer or some Studio package), I thought documentation referred to more than just the user and reference guide; if I recall correctly, I had to wade through a couple more layers to reach the stuff that mattered to me. So I think that caused me to not make the connection with Documentation link under FAQ.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Done. And, guess what? I accidentally discovered that we also provide this in PDF form! Link provided in FAQ.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Done. And, guess what? I accidentally discovered that we also provide this in PDF form! Link provided in FAQ.

Thanks, that's great.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

with Update 2 of Parallel Studio 2016, the link in Visual Studio under Help / Intel Compilers and Libraries is now missing.  Only the MKL documentation links are present.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I don't see that in my installation. Try an uninstall and reinstall of Parallel Studio XE.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

Thanks Steve.

I eventually had to uninstall Update 1 and XE 2016 and then reinstall Update 2.  The installer seems to hang while installing the MPI section (no cpu use, no disk activity for over 20 minutes), so I had to rerun the installer to get it to complete.  But all good now - the documentation is restored.

Daivd

0 Kudos