Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Downloading Intel Fortran Compiler 17.0.4

DDickerson
Beginner

Can anyone provide a link to the Intel Fortran Compiler Version 17.0.4.  I require this specific version for ANSYS and cannot find a link.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Ron_Green

Version 17 dropped out of support:  https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/articles/intel-parallel-studio-xe-supported-and-unsupported-product-versions.html

For version 17 the only version you can download is 17.0.8.  This should work just fine, all version 17.0x versions are binary compatible.  you don't need .4, use .8.

If, for some reason, you don't believe .8 will work (it will) are really stubborn about .4  .AND. you have a Premier Account you can open a ticket to request a download link for .4.

0 Kudos
DDickerson
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response!  I'm happy to try 17.0.8.  I'm still unsure how to access it.  I can get a link to the current version of the compiler but have not been able to get a link to prior versions.  The only Intel product I have is the Compiler.  Is there a way I can search for it?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
DDickerson
Beginner

I have tried that as well.  I guess the issue here is that I don't have a product that has a serial number that I can locate.  The compiler is installed but there isn't a serial number that I entered or that I see within any of the installation files.  Is there a command I can use to get the number?  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

There will be a license file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\intel\Licenses  If you have that (file type .lic) then you don't need a serial number. You will be able to install any compiler released on or before the date indicated by a string that looks like "2023.0223" (represents 2/23/23) in the first line following "INTEL".

0 Kudos
DDickerson
Beginner

Thanks again for the quick response.  I cannot located a license file there.  The folder structure is in the screenshot attached.

Ultimately, the issue is that I do not know how to access the installation file for the Intel Fortran 17.0.8 compiler.  I figured if I had the serial number, then I could go through the Intel Registration Center but that doesn't seem to be an option.  And I can't find any other place where the download would be.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It looks as if a licensed version of the Intel compiler has not been installed on this system. Perhaps it was a trial version. If you registered the license you will have a login with Intel Registration Center. 

At this point I recommend downloading and installing the current oneAPI compiler and using that with Ansys.

0 Kudos
cryan98
Beginner

Hi there,

I am also trying to install fortran 17.0.4 for use with ANSYS in order to write a subroutine.

Did you manage to find a solution to this? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
cryan98
Beginner

I have downloaded the Intel oneAPI which has the fortran compiler but i dont know if it supports 17.0.4

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

What do you mean by "supports 17.0.4"? If your license for the old installation has expired, the situation is no different from never having 17.0.4 installed. There is nothing to "support".

On the other hand, if your question if about supporting Ansys, that is a question for the vendor of Ansys. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

@DDickerson , I use Fortran with a few structural programs.  They will all have a batch file or something to start the Fortran program. You will need to find the batch file and fix it so it points to the current location for ifort.   Unfortunately ifort moves.  

Ifort whilst it is updated is going to perform exactly the same as the old versions, that is the beauty of FORTRAN.  it requires a bit of hunting and you will likely need to play with a *.bat file. 

I suggest you get FILESEEK 6.6 - that will allow you to find the bat files,  I suggest you use notepad++ or your fav editor to look at the bat file. 

If it makes no sense - remember the old people grew up with bat files, post the contents here and someone can point you in the right direction. 

ANSYS and the others just need to be told where to find ifort. 

it is tedious it will take you a little while and you will get it working.  Forget about old versions, the minute Fortran differences between Intel Fortran in 2016 and now are not worth worrying about, they are language extensions. Fortran is always Fortran not like c or python etc... 

I would give you a 90% chance of succeeding -- 

0 Kudos
cryan98
Beginner

Sorry what I meant to say is - the version of Ansys i have says that it requires intel fortran version 17.0.4 but I'm wondering if I can use Intel oneAPI instead?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

@cryan98 wrote:

Sorry what I meant to say is - the version of Ansys i have says that it requires intel fortran version 17.0.4 but I'm wondering if I can use Intel oneAPI instead?

Yes, you can. At most you'll need to edit the path any ANSYS script uses to locate the Fortran compiler.

0 Kudos
cryan98
Beginner

@Steve_Lionel I have installed both visual studio and intel one API base and hpc. When installing intel one api it integrated with Visual studio 2017. When i built my solution i got these warnings. Are these due to the fact that i didn't edit the path that ANSYS scripts use to locate the Fortran compiler?

Could you please explain how to do this? I can only find tutorials to do it with Intel parallel XE.

Thanks,

C

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

@cryan98 , I responded to your Stack Overflow post about this, where I wrote:

"The warnings have no effect on execution. They appear because your link option /PDB told the linker to look for debug information files that were not there. Your screenshots truncate the lines, but I'd guess that your compile commands specified to place the PDB (Program Database) files somewhere else. The default is to include that information in the object file, but the linker couldn't find it there either.

The only thing this hurts is the ability to debug the application."

The warnings are not related to the compiler, which was found without problem.

If you had shown the complete compile and link commands, I might be able to offer more advice. If your compile command has /Zi, remove it, and also remove the /PDB option from linking. If you can't do that, adjust the linker /PDB option to point to the folder where the compiler placed the .pdb files (same as the .obj files, I think.)

0 Kudos