Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28384 Discussions

ERROR 49 BAD DLL CALLING CONVENTION FROM VBA

Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Code behind excel that has been successfully used before to call a DLL yields a new error, Error 49.  Have tried several variations including PTRsafe as well as removing the "alias".  Any ideas out there?

0 Kudos
22 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The list of Fortran runtime error messages at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/678472 does not have an entry for Error-49. If your DLL was compiled from Fortran sources alone, the indication is that you should consult VBA and Office documentation regarding that error.

0 Kudos
Eugene_E_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I recommend that you look here for various causes of error 49:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15758834/runtime-error-49-bad-dll-calling-convention

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

VBA wants to use the STDCALL convention on 32-bit Windows, the Intel Fortran default is the C convention. There are various ways of changing the convention - I would suggest adding:

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES STDCALL, REFERENCE, ALIAS:"SubName" :: SubName

where SubName is the name of your subroutine or function. In the ALIAS attribute make sure you use the exact case as appears in the VBA call.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

All, thanks for the input.  Yes, there appear to be some differences between the excel of yesterday and the fortran of yesterday.  Steve, we will try your tip and see if this helps us to be able to use the "alias" so as to NOT get the error 49, not the suggested approach, and, at the same time, "link" up the alias so that the VBA can enter the code.  This is where is my head logic-wise and possibly it is not correct.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you show us the declaration of the routine in Excel/VBA and that in Fortran we can help you match them.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Steve,

The following appeared within the VBA.

HEADER:

Option Base 1

Declare Sub NGCDT Lib "C:\Windows\System\GPS.DLL" Alias "_NGCDT@4" (ByRef MyIOArray As Double)

Declare Function WinTempPath Lib "kernel32" Alias "GetTempPathA" (ByVal nBufferLength As Long, ByVal lpBuffer As String) As Long

BODY:

Public Function NGCDT_OUT(vInputTag_in As Variant, vIOData_in As Variant) As Variant

-----CODE------

-------CODE-------

AND, FINALLY A CALL TO THE SUBROUTINE THAT IS DEFINED IN THE FORTRAN

Call NGCDT(dIOData(1, 1))

NOW.........THE FORTRAN SUBROUTINE ITSELF.

SUBROUTINE NGCDT ( OUTPUT )

IMPLICIT NONE

INCLUDE 'PUBLIC.INC'

REAL :: HT_41(50),ENTHALPY,Q_FUEL_BTU_HR,METHANECP,SH_FROM_RH
      REAL :: OUTPUT(5000,1) !6-3 ,XC_HPC_Q_M_DOT_RATIO_ACTUAL(20)
      REAL :: SPEEDRATIO_TEMP
      INTEGER I,STG,JMAX,KMAX,J,K,N1,M,IX

INTEGER XYZ

INTEGER L,MM,N,O

INTEGER Z, K_MAX, KK !11072017, CASE_COUNT

CHARACTER*24 DATETIME,DATETIME_BEGIN
      CHARACTER*15 HPC_STATUS,HPT_STATUS,MODEL_STATUS,ENG_DR_STATUS !01102017
      CHARACTER*80 INFILE,OUTFILE,LOGFILE,ALOGFILE
      LOGICAL FILEEXIST,REVERSEFLOW
      CHARACTER *1 STAGEID(10)
      DATA STAGEID/"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0"/

NAMELIST /INPUT/ &

ETC....... ETC.....

Your help with this would greatly be appreciated.  We have been fighting for some time now.  Our machines are 64 bit and we can compile 32 bit.  Previously, used Compaq visual fortran, F77.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Ok - here's an easy fix. Add to your Fortran routine:

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES CVF :: NGCDT

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Thank you Steve.  Would it look like this then?

SUBROUTINE NGCDT ( OUTPUT )

!DEC$ ATTRIBUTES CVF :: NGCDT

IMPLICIT NONE

INCLUDE 'PUBLIC.INC'

REAL :: HT_41(50),ENTHALPY,Q_FUEL_BTU_HR,METHANECP,SH_FROM_RH
      REAL :: OUTPUT(5000,1) !6-3 ,XC_HPC_Q_M_DOT_RATIO_ACTUAL(20)
      REAL :: SPEEDRATIO_TEMP
      INTEGER I,STG,JMAX,KMAX,J,K,N1,M,IX

INTEGER XYZ

INTEGER L,MM,N,O

INTEGER Z, K_MAX, KK !11072017, CASE_COUNT

CHARACTER*24 DATETIME,DATETIME_BEGIN
      CHARACTER*15 HPC_STATUS,HPT_STATUS,MODEL_STATUS,ENG_DR_STATUS !01102017
      CHARACTER*80 INFILE,OUTFILE,LOGFILE,ALOGFILE
      LOGICAL FILEEXIST,REVERSEFLOW
      CHARACTER *1 STAGEID(10)
      DATA STAGEID/"1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","0"/

NAMELIST /INPUT/ &

ETC....... ETC.....

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Thank you Steve.  We tried 64 bit and it came back as ERROR 48 FILE NOT FOUND.  We will try 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

And debug enabled?  Does debug need to be enabled for this to work?  We appreciate your time.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

32-bit is what you need for Excel. I recommend no debug, but debug can work in some cases. Intel provides a worked Excel-Fortran example.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Thank you Steve.  We will get the results of te 32 bit with the most recent line item you have suggested and let you know.  Having the debug off clearly is better as this will enable the ability for the optimization to be enabled and this is needed under the circumstances.  Time.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Steve, where can I find the Intel worked excel fortran example?

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Steve, first, I/we appreciate any time you devote to this forum especially considering your retired status.  It does appear that there is some confusion as to what DLLs are required, old versus new, etc... .  Is there a comprehensive worked example that functions that can be viewed?  This is in line with the previous question I have posed.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I first suggest that you (and anyone else reading here) bookmark the Visual Fortran FAQ. (It is also linked from the top of this forum.) Included there is a link to the page where all the Intel product samples are provided. They used to be installed along with the product, but not since version 17.) You will want the "Intel® Parallel Studio XE for Windows Samples Bundle". Unzip that to a convenient location, and then look in compiler_f > Mixed Language > Excel. That is a simple example of calling a Fortran DLL from Excel.

I am not sure what you are asking relating to your "confusion". By default your DLL will require the Intel Fortran run-time DLLs from the same version you compiled with or newer. The "Release" versions of these are installed on your system and added to PATH so should be found automatically.There is a ReadMe.html in with the example that has more information.

0 Kudos
Guaglardi__Paul
Beginner

Steve, prior to getting your reply, thank you by the way, I stumbled upon the following:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41353921/writing-a-dll-in-fortran-calling-from-excel from just googling around...sort of speak.

From making some changes in lne with this but appropriate for my code, I was able to move from error 453 to some othr errors which have been deemed internal and are now fixed.

Happy to report that it appears that things could be functionng now as they intended.

Upon checking the code within the bundle, it appears as if the information in that link above is from the bundle of which you speak.

Thanks for the help.  I/we appreciate it.  This was a doosy at times. Spelling doosy questionable.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Note that I'm the one who answered that Stack Overflow question! Glad to hear you have things working.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Looking at this thread and Quotes #7 and $8, what doesn't make sense is the original post, particularly the comment, "Code behind excel that has been successfully used before to call a DLL yields a new error .."  If the code in Fortran is as shown in Quote #7, it's a mystery how could it have "been successfully used before".

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It's not a mystery to me - it would have worked as-is with CVF.

0 Kudos