Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Error code Xc000007b

JHJ
Beginner

I have an exe module running perfectly on my PC (64 bit, W10), and also on an other PC (64 bit, W10) but on a third PC (64 bit, W10) refuces to start with the error code xc00007b
The module is compiled with this options: ifort /c /Qparallel /list
And linked with these: /subsystem:windows /stack:10000000 
Any suggestions ?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I extracted and scanned the EXE in your 7z attachment with my antivirus program. This 32-bit EXE depends on ntdll.dll, wow64.dll and wow64win.dll. Thus, it seems to have been built with /libs:static already.

I ran the program in a couple of CMD.EXE consoles, neither of which was configured for any versions of IFort that I have on this PC. It ran fine, but put up a window telling me that it could not find a required data file for Unit 77. 

I then opened it in a OneAPI-x64 command window, and it performed just as well, and this time it named the file that it wanted to open as PS1.RNT. I chose the Help-Contents menu, and it showed the info from the Quickwin help.

The EXE does not seem to require any Parallel Studio redistributables package to be installed. Why does it fail on your PC-3? That remains a mystery. If you want to investigate into the reasons further, tell us more about the CPU, memory, etc., on that PC.

Do note that the MSI file that you listed is much older than the compiler version that you also listed. See this link for more recent redistributables. However, as I already wrote, for this specific program it should not matter  whether you even have redistributables installed.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

There is not enough information here to make any suggestions other than the following.

Does the PC on which the program does not run have the Intel Fortran redistributable package installed? If not, you will need to do so, and to do that you need to know which version of the Intel Fortran compiler you are using because the redistributables are matched to the compiler versions.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

That error is "the application was unable to start correctly". The most common reason for this I have seen is a value for /stack that is too large. The value you have is reasonable, however.

The second most common reason is a static code and data total size over 2GB. Even on 64-bit Windows, that won't work. But as the application runs on two PCs and not a third, I'm doubtful this is the cause.

If dependent DLLs were missing, you'd get a different error. However, some web searching I have done suggest that it could be a DLL problem, so @mecej4 's suggestion has merit. You will also need the Microsoft Visual C++ redistributables for the version of Visual Studio you used to build the program.

An easy thing to try is to rebuild it with /libs:static and see if that changes the behavior.

0 Kudos
JHJ
Beginner

Versions:

Intel(R) Compiler 19.1 Update 2 (package 254)
ww_ifort_redist_intel64_2016.3.207.msi

Is that ok ?

I have attached a ziped version of the exe in question.

I will try to rebuild with /libs:static

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I extracted and scanned the EXE in your 7z attachment with my antivirus program. This 32-bit EXE depends on ntdll.dll, wow64.dll and wow64win.dll. Thus, it seems to have been built with /libs:static already.

I ran the program in a couple of CMD.EXE consoles, neither of which was configured for any versions of IFort that I have on this PC. It ran fine, but put up a window telling me that it could not find a required data file for Unit 77. 

I then opened it in a OneAPI-x64 command window, and it performed just as well, and this time it named the file that it wanted to open as PS1.RNT. I chose the Help-Contents menu, and it showed the info from the Quickwin help.

The EXE does not seem to require any Parallel Studio redistributables package to be installed. Why does it fail on your PC-3? That remains a mystery. If you want to investigate into the reasons further, tell us more about the CPU, memory, etc., on that PC.

Do note that the MSI file that you listed is much older than the compiler version that you also listed. See this link for more recent redistributables. However, as I already wrote, for this specific program it should not matter  whether you even have redistributables installed.

0 Kudos
JHJ
Beginner

Thank you very much

the program behaves just as I expected being a part of a larger application ie it started.

So I will try with newer versions of the redists and let you know if that solves the question

There will be a time delay because I don't have immediate access to the target PC

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You also might want to temporarily disable any antivirus software on the third PC in case it is interfering with the program. Another possibility is malware corrupting the image.

0 Kudos