Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

F90 file associations with multiple VS and new and old VF on 8.1

MWind2
New Contributor III

This is not a question but an observation. I have VS05-2019 installed and VF10 and VF19U5 on 8.1.The VF10 works with VS05 and the VF19U5 works with VS13-VS19. I can select in File Explorer an association for f90  directly to VS05, VS13,VS15 only, but when I select "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector" the files open in VS19.

Would such be because of the supplied shell thing that I can't directly chose the devenv.exe for VS17 and VS19? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

You might be able to do this with a shortcut that runs a .bat file that changes the environment prior to launching Devenv.

Note, you can drag and drop a file onto the shortcut (if shortcut accepts drop).

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

The "Version Selector" seems to always pick the latest VS version, I rarely have the desire to open .f90 files from Explorer - what is your use case for this? This shouldn't stop you from using .f90 sources in whichever version of VS you choose.

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

My use case is settling on/in  one environment so I can focus quickly on the code, not "homemaking".  I usually open a "f90" file from explorer; a solution I open from a dedicated directory for that version.

I'm fine with the results of using "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector" as it opens in VS2019. When opening solutions, I have learned to avoid it since it seems to always select the wrong version, usually after a service pack or update of one of the compilers. VS2019 at first was nutty so I used 17 or 15, but when 19 worked better on remote Linux dev than 17 a few months ago, it seemed maybe time to move to 19. 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Try this:

Locate the MS VS of your interest. On my system

Start | All Programs |  Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Then Right-Click on the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 program (not the folder of same name).

Find convenient spot on desktop, Right-Click, and choose Paste ShortCut

Now for a test, open Windows Explorer. Select one, or if you wish, multiple, .F90 files and then drag and drop them onto the new shortcut.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

BTW The shortcut has to be on the desktop and not the task bar.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
MWind2
New Contributor III

The shortcut on desktop works letting me get to VS2017. Thanks,

0 Kudos