Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
26732 Discussions

F90 file associations with multiple VS and new and old VF on 8.1

MWind2
New Contributor I

This is not a question but an observation. I have VS05-2019 installed and VF10 and VF19U5 on 8.1.The VF10 works with VS05 and the VF19U5 works with VS13-VS19. I can select in File Explorer an association for f90  directly to VS05, VS13,VS15 only, but when I select "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector" the files open in VS19.

Would such be because of the supplied shell thing that I can't directly chose the devenv.exe for VS17 and VS19? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

You might be able to do this with a shortcut that runs a .bat file that changes the environment prior to launching Devenv.

Note, you can drag and drop a file onto the shortcut (if shortcut accepts drop).

Jim Dempsey

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

The "Version Selector" seems to always pick the latest VS version, I rarely have the desire to open .f90 files from Explorer - what is your use case for this? This shouldn't stop you from using .f90 sources in whichever version of VS you choose.

MWind2
New Contributor I

My use case is settling on/in  one environment so I can focus quickly on the code, not "homemaking".  I usually open a "f90" file from explorer; a solution I open from a dedicated directory for that version.

I'm fine with the results of using "Microsoft Visual Studio Version Selector" as it opens in VS2019. When opening solutions, I have learned to avoid it since it seems to always select the wrong version, usually after a service pack or update of one of the compilers. VS2019 at first was nutty so I used 17 or 15, but when 19 worked better on remote Linux dev than 17 a few months ago, it seemed maybe time to move to 19. 

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Try this:

Locate the MS VS of your interest. On my system

Start | All Programs |  Microsoft Visual Studio 2010

Then Right-Click on the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 program (not the folder of same name).

Find convenient spot on desktop, Right-Click, and choose Paste ShortCut

Now for a test, open Windows Explorer. Select one, or if you wish, multiple, .F90 files and then drag and drop them onto the new shortcut.

Jim Dempsey

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

BTW The shortcut has to be on the desktop and not the task bar.

Jim Dempsey

MWind2
New Contributor I

The shortcut on desktop works letting me get to VS2017. Thanks,