Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28455 Discussions

FORTRAN project is blocked by Cylance Protect

Gatzka__Sebastian

Hello World,

I'm trying to compile an old FORTRAN prject with Visual Studio 2010 Shell but unfortunately my companies security software "Cylance Protect" detects the exe-file as a threat and is blocking the exe-file.

Do you have any experience what can cause such a behaviour?

Thanks for your help.
Sebastian

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Many antivirus programs consider a program that creates EXEs to be suspicious. My advice is to tell your AV software to not do realtime scanning of your development folder.

0 Kudos
DavidWhite
Valued Contributor II

I have similar problems with Symantec Endpoint Protection.

I have had to have my development folders excluded from scanning by our IT support.

However, every time I release a new product to users, SEP flags the exe as unknown, and therefore a threat.  I have to wait for this to occur, then I can report a false positive to Symantec, which then results in the virus defs being updated within about 24 hours.

This, apparently, is not just a problem with Fortran exe's, I have had updates of a commercial product flagged as unknown because it is so too new!

Just another few hoops we have to jump through!

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I had never heard of Cylance Protect before this, but today I ran across this article: Researchers Easily Trick Cylance's AI-Based Antivirus Into Thinking Malware Is 'Goodware'

0 Kudos
cryptogram
New Contributor I

We have had similar problems with SEP.   The solution for me involved

1.  Get added to AD Group of employees allowed to sign code

2. Obtain and Install a digital certificate

3. Add a post build step that runs  signtool to sign the code

4.  get my digital certificate added to SEPs whitelist

Steps 1, 2, and 4 only had to be done once and apply to all executables I create.  The post build step has to be added every time I start a new project.

0 Kudos