Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Failure installing parallel_studio_xe_2016_update3_composer_edition_for_fortran_setup.exe on Windows 10 home 64 bit

Svein-Atle_Engeseth

Hi,

I can not install update 3 on Windows 10. This is the first time I have tried to install the Fortran Compiler on Windows 10.

The install process stops while showing: Starting pre_install.js...

Please see the Attached file showing the error Message.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Regards,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

An expert may be able to find something in the install log.

In my own experience, such problems are typically caused by remnants of a prior installation which was not cleanly removed.  Even one which was removed incompletely under a previous Windows installation may resurface under a Windows 10 upgrade.

If you are lucky, re-installing the previous version (under your current Windows) and then removing it  may clean it up.  If you need to use a 3rd party cleanup tool, you may need to remove all Intel tools installations which are removable using the Intel remove and then clean out the rest with the 3rd party tool.  I had some luck with "Special Uninstaller."  I don't think the Microsoft tools of this kind are available for anything newer than Win7, so you would have had to remove and clean all Intel installations under Win7 before upgrading the OS.

0 Kudos
Svein-Atle_Engeseth

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the quick response. The previous OS on my computer was Windows 8.1. I got a virus on it, so I decided to install W10. I did not uninstall VS2015 or Fortran2016 prior to this. I noticed after installing W10 that the disk Explorer said 240GB of the disk Space was used. I used Ccleaner to wipe the free Space. After the wipe the disk Explorer showed 16GB of disk Space in use.

Regards,

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Any previous installation of ifort, regardless of version, which wasn't fully removed, could provoke this problem. 

VS2015 would likely need to be refreshed after OS upgrade.

I've found that virus and registry cleanup tools are as important in Windows 8.1 and 10 as in previous versions, but they don't resolve problems such as this.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I haven't seen reports of that particular error before. Please try temporarily disabling any antimalware software which may be interfering with running programs as part of the installation. Also make sure you are running the install from an account with Administrator permissions.

0 Kudos
Svein-Atle_Engeseth

Hi again,

Thanks Steve, it was the antivirus program that caused the trouble. Now the compiler is installed and working properly.

0 Kudos