Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28440 Discussions

Feature request: pointer initialization

Kacper_Kowalik
Beginner

I would be very grateful if you could implement pointer initialization, so that following code would work with ifort:
[fortran]program pointer_init implicit none procedure(), pointer :: b => a contains subroutine a end subroutine a end program pointer_init
[/fortran] As defined by "John Reid, The new features of Fortran 2008, chapter 5.5":
A pointer may be initially associated with a target: [fortran]type (entry), target :: bottom type (entry), pointer :: top => bottom[/fortran]
Best regards,
Kacper Kowalik
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
Thanks - I'll add this to the list of features requested.
0 Kudos
Kacper_Kowalik
Beginner
Thank you! Is there any publicly available database for such requests that I could access? Bugzilla? I wasn't sure if forum is the best place to do that.
Best regards,
Kacper Kowalik
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee
This forum is the best place. I will update this thread when there is news. It was already on our list, but I'm not aware that work on it has been scheduled. We don't have a "Bugzilla" type database that is public. Our issue ID is DPD200137107.
0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

We have implemented this feature in the "2017" release - available for beta test now.

0 Kudos