Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28446 Discussions

Fortran 14.1 command prompt redefining environment variable COMMONPROGRAMFILES

Greg_S_3
Beginner

Has anyone noticed an issue with the intel 14.1 command prompt (either 32 or 64 bit) and having the COMMONPROGRAMFILES environment variable changed from the windows default (C:\Program Files\Common Files) to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files?  If a try to run some other software that uses the default environment variable from the intel prompt it does not function and I must switch to another prompt that does not support the fortran.  So on my system I have the following set by default

>echo %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%
C:\Program Files\Common Files

>echo %COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)%
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files

But, while on the intel prompt it changes it to 

>echo %COMMONPROGRAMFILES%

>echo %COMMONPROGRAMFILES(X86)%

Is this correct or is there something wrong with my install?  Is there a work around?  Any help would be appreciated.  I would like to return to the times when I had a single command prompt with the environment always set for both intel fortran and all my other codes

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Windows is doing this. See http://www.viva64.com/en/k/0020/ and https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/950407 

0 Kudos
Greg_S_3
Beginner

Steve - thanks for the quick reply.  I guess everything is just getting much more complicated.  The Fortran works great and my other software works well as long as I do not try to run from the Intel prompt.  I will try some of the fixes that are suggested in your links though I'm still not sure that I can actually get back to a single prompt that will support everything.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I didn't look at the suggested "fixes". I note that Microsoft Visual Studio's command prompt does the same thing and, as with Intel Fortran, there is nothing in the scripts themselves that change this. I guess it has to do with the use of C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe to start the command line. If you use the one in C:\Windows\System32 instead, then you get the 64-bit one and Windows doesn't change the variable. I'm not sure why one would choose one over the other.

0 Kudos