Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Fortran Command Line Options Changes

bjdesa
New Contributor I

When was  /real_size:64  switched to /real-size:64 and has it now been discontinued 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

Well, it is still mentioned in the documentation for Intel Fortran 2019, in a slightly different form. I do not know about the changes you mention.

However, relying on a compile option for something like that is considered rather bad practice, certainly given that Fortran has a very nice feature to achieve a different precision via its KIND mechanism.

bjdesa
New Contributor I

Could you tell me what the "a slightly different form" is? I totally agree with the bad practice part

Arjen_Markus
Valued Contributor III

My apologies, I mixed up the Linux and the Windows options - see https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-developer-guide-...

On Linux it is "-real-size number" and on Windows it is "/real-size:number" - I saw the version without the colon lower in the document and did not look hard enough at the Windows version.

Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

It hasn't switched as far as I can tell. The documented form is real-size with a hyphen, but the compiler tends to accept an underscore for many of these options as an alternative. At least on Windows, the 19.1 compiler still takes both.

D:\Projects>ifort /c /real_size:64 t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\Projects>ifort /c /real-size:64 t.f90
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 19.1.1.216 Build 20200306
Copyright (C) 1985-2020 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\Projects>

I agree that it is bad practice to use this option, but it is there.