Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran Compiler, noob

tone_l_
Beginner

Good day all,

I am currently installing the Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for Linux*  on my Ubuntu 16 OS at university for my research project. My first time doing anything like this...

My question boils down to: once it is downloaded what are the next steps, do I need to into terminal and execute install commands or anything?

-Very confused noob :)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu

Those instructions assume you have unpacked the 64-bit "intel64" linux download (e.g. tar zxvf .....) , cd into the unpacked directory and started e.g. sudo ./install.sh.  As it says there, it will be rather difficult to install 32-bit support on a 64-bit ubuntu (but, in the disrecommended case of 32-bit ubuntu, you could use only 32-bit components of psxe, not the full cluster edition).

If your ubuntu is newer than those which were tested ("supported") in the development of psxe, you will need to accept "unsupported" installation.

In spite of ubuntu claiming to require less knowledge than standard linux, you may have seen already this is not entirely so.  No doubt you will have a lot of googling ahead.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/using-intel-compilers-for-linux-with-ubuntu

Those instructions assume you have unpacked the 64-bit "intel64" linux download (e.g. tar zxvf .....) , cd into the unpacked directory and started e.g. sudo ./install.sh.  As it says there, it will be rather difficult to install 32-bit support on a 64-bit ubuntu (but, in the disrecommended case of 32-bit ubuntu, you could use only 32-bit components of psxe, not the full cluster edition).

If your ubuntu is newer than those which were tested ("supported") in the development of psxe, you will need to accept "unsupported" installation.

In spite of ubuntu claiming to require less knowledge than standard linux, you may have seen already this is not entirely so.  No doubt you will have a lot of googling ahead.

0 Kudos
tone_l_
Beginner

Thanks Tim. Everything worked great. One question though. When I picked where I wanted to install the files I picked /Home/tone

Therefore I have a huge mess on my Home directory which has Videos, Pictures, Desktop etc...

Suggestions how/where to move all these files?

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

That article is dated and covers some older versions really.

Might be better to start with the PSXE 2016 Installation Guide for Linux. Look in section 3.2 to use the command-line installation interface or section 3.3 for the GUI interface.

Ubuntu 16 specifically is not supported. Refer to PSXE 2016 Update 3 RNs here for specific Ubuntu and other versions supported.

As Tim notes you may see an unsupported OS message but you should be able to continue with the installation.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Sounds like you performed the installation under your personal account vs. using root/sudo. You cannot just move the files manually. You need to uninstall and re-install in an alternate location and depending on the file access permissions on the new location you may need to use the root/sudo installation option.

0 Kudos