Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28435 Discussions

Fortran compiler doesn't create an exe file

Erez_K_1
Beginner

Hello,

I installed the Intel Fortran Compiler and Microsoft Visual Studio, both in their latest version. I am having an issue with building my test program. The builder runs and says it has been successful but no .exe file was created and I am unable to run the program (I get a message saying that no .exe file can be found) 

I feel like there is something simple I am not doing. 

Any advice?

Thanks,

Erez

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

See if https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/problem-fortran-source-files-not-compiled-when-building-in-visual-studio helps. If not, please create a ZIP of the buildlog.htm from the project's Debug (or Release) folder and attach that to a reply here.

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

I tried what the page suggested and non of the "Reset to default" buttons were enabled.

Here is the log.

Thanks,

Erez

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

This log shows that no files were built.

Is your test file listed as a member of the project "HW1"?   What is the name of your test file?

--Lorri

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

The name of my test file is also HW1, and I believe it is a member of the HW1 project.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Please zip your project directory (including .vfproj file) and attach it here.

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

Steve,

Here is the project directory. 

Thanks for the help!

Erez

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There are no source files in your project. There are also no source files in the ZIP. In Visual Studio, right click on the HW1 project (with the purple and white Fo icon), select Add... Existing Item, browse to your .f90 or .f source files and add them to the project.

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

Steve,

I think that did fix my issue. Now I can start learning the language.

Thanks for the help! I am sure I will be asking for more of it along the way.

I was looking into your blog "Dr. Fortran" and I was wondering if you have a post about Fortran for starters. 

I am a senior in college and I have done work on MATLAB. I  am rewriting my code in Fortran. Any advice?

Thanks,

Erez

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Erez,

Glad to help. I don't have a "Fortran for starters" post but do have a post on some books you might find helpful.

I have no advice on rewriting MATLAB code. Do you know any procedural programming languages? (For example, C.)

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

Steve,

Unfortunately  I do not. 

I will look into that post.

Thanks!

Erez

0 Kudos
Erez_K_1
Beginner

Steve,