Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Fortran variable X

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

So I have been uploading the COVID analysis to a new Twitter feed - @JohnNic99292292 so they are in one place and easy to find.  

Anyway whilst doing this I observed on Steve's Twitter account a lot of really interesting stuff including this little gem, personally I have no problems with the idea, after all we use languages that distinguish variables on case.  

If you can get used to car and cdr in Lisp anything is easy. 

Steve's twitter is good - sorry Steve -- I know you do not like naming people, but this was to good to pass on. x.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

C/C++/C# are case sensitive, might as well go full boat and be font/typeface/size sensitive as well.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I don't mind at all directing people to my Twitter feed.  I'm not a prolific tweeter, though.

If you like weird language designs, check out INTERCAL.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

No worse than machine language or lisp if you want to make the program hard to read -- an interesting waste of time but it is fin. 

DO ,1 <- #13
PLEASE DO ,1 SUB #1 <- #238
DO ,1 SUB #2 <- #108
DO ,1 SUB #3 <- #112
DO ,1 SUB #4 <- #0
DO ,1 SUB #5 <- #64
DO ,1 SUB #6 <- #194
DO ,1 SUB #7 <- #48
PLEASE DO ,1 SUB #8 <- #22
DO ,1 SUB #9 <- #248
DO ,1 SUB #10 <- #168
DO ,1 SUB #11 <- #24
DO ,1 SUB #12 <- #16
DO ,1 SUB #13 <- #162
PLEASE READ OUT ,1
PLEASE GIVE UP
0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Here are the INTERCAL source files, I am not used to building from make files,  I realize this is not Fortran -- but it is slightly interesting -- how would you go about it 

Could we rewrite it in Fortran -- obviously not going to but interesting none the less

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Intercal - having read the manuals and the code -- these people are really weird.  

It would be simple to write in Fortran -- but do I want to become that weird.  

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

FWIW, two of my favorite languages are APL and SNOBOL4. SNOBOL4's syntax itself isn't that strange, but patterns are an art form that I was really good at (in college).

APL requires a unique font, and at least when I was using it, some of the operators required backspacing the keyboard and overstriking. (In later years, alphabetic alternatives to these symbols were devised, but I consider that cheating.)

1920px-APL-keybd2.svg

Oh, and it does right-to-left expression evaluation. You could write complex expressions with flow control - some of the students considered it a challenge to write all of the course assignments in a single APL statement, and did. Of course, don't ask anyone else to understand what the thing did.

Here's an example from Wikipedia of the "new generation" logic in Conway's Game of Life:

life{1 .3 4=+/,¯1 0 1∘.¯1 0 1∘.⌽⊂}

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Various implementations of APL by APLX, Dyalog, et al., include extensions for object-oriented programming, support for .NET Framework, XML-array conversion primitives, graphing, operating system interfaces, and lambda calculus expressions.

If you have not read Church's Lambda Calculus, it is a treat, something like 13 pints of Guinness and then a walk in a rattlesnake enclose at dark. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Of course doing an implementation of Intercal in Fortran would lead to a name on Wikipedia as an idiot. 

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Found a dos version that runs on dosbox -- lol -- I need to get a life

Capture.GIF

0 Kudos