Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Forum question: changes appear to be underway, will source code highlighting be a casualty?

FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

It looks like certain changes are underway on the Intel software forums.

Over the last few days, posted source code in {..} Code box doesn't seem to get highlighted the same way as it has been for the longest: Fortran source, plain text, etc. now just show up as text with different fonts.

Is source code highlighting going to be a casualty of the changes?  Or is this just a temporary issue?

Can someone on Intel staff please provide some feedback on what's going on with the forums?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Devorah_H_Intel
I alerted the forum backend. 
They are looking into this, so I will update when I hear more.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

In addition to the issues reported in #1, please note that code added with the {...} button is

1. truncated in the page display, without any indication that such truncation was done.
  2. has no line numbers displayed, making it much harder to discuss/comment on lines of code in the forum

I hope that this will be fixed soon -- the old version of the forum software was quite functional in this regard.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Devorah H. (Intel) (Intel) wrote:

I alerted the forum backend. 
They are looking into this, so I will update when I hear more.

@Devorah,

Can you please update us on the status of the forum changes, what the backend folks have informed you?  It's been a couple of weeks.  And it's rather disappointing to find the previously available source code highlighting facility gone missing and no word from Intel whether it will be restored at all and if so, when.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I'm replying for Devorah who is enjoying an extended vacation!

The Forum back-end developer reports that this problem has been fixed.  Please confirm or deny using this thread! Thanks!

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

This is a Fortran Program:

program Foo
    print *, "hello"
end program Foo

My comments follow

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

The typeface is courier - good

Line numbers missing, present before.
Simulated, single line green bars missing, present before (aids in reading comments with code)
The copy code to paste buffer button gone
The horizontal and vertical scroll bars are gone.

I suggest that your developer .NOT. code this for use on a cell phone.

Also, another gripe. This "Leave a Comment" box appears with an unusable few number of edit lines. Thus requiring box expansion before type in of comment.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Barbara P (Intel) wrote:

The Forum back-end developer reports that this problem has been fixed.  Please confirm or deny using this thread! Thanks!

@Barbara,

Unfortunately no, the problem is not fixed.

The facility I mentioned in the original post refers to how the code entered using {..} Code button would show up in forum posts within an embedded window with vertical and horizontal scrollbars (as needed) and with line numbers with alternate lighter and darker *shading* too and with syntax highlighting so language keywords such as module in Fortran, class in C++, etc. are in bold font and in a different color.  Looking at what shows up now, one can truly appreciate how great a feature it was, it made reading code on Intel forum posts so much easier and pleasing to the eye.  I can only hope against hope the backend developer will manage to restore this functionality.

Thanks,  

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Barbara P (Intel) wrote:

@Barbara,

By the way, please refer to this thread for an earlier discussion:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/542008

Also, please see Quote #5 in this thread: at the time of this note, I can catch a glimpse of how the highlighting tool used to work!  What I see in my browser for that Quote #5 is an embedded window as follows:

Highlight.PNG

You can see the line number, color coding. scroll bar, etc.  Now this does not seem to work in other forum threads - perhaps the backend developer can use this to diagnose the problem?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Testing the current insertion, which appears to reference a Fortran "brush"

print *, "Hello world!"

The posts where the code is just unformatted uses the <pre> tag. The older posts use a "brush" attribute that triggered some JavaScript to do the formatting. I see that the "brush" is back, but it is not clear to me it is doing anything.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for testing.  I updated the bug ticket to inform the developer.

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Hi, this issue is still not fixed... tested different browsers (Edge, IE, Firefox). Please, give us back syntax highlighting in forum.

write(*,'("We have no sysntax highlighting yet!")')

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

When code added with the {code} button contains lines that are long, some part of the tail end is not shown in the display at all. However, highlighting and copy/pasting that line reveals the hidden part, which is jarring. Here is an example:

program testpost
print *,'This is a test message to check IDF Fortran forum code highlighting' ! Why does someone "fix" something that ain't broke and then turn the bug loose on unsuspecting users?
end program

Copy and paste the four lines into a text editor, and you will see that there is quite a bit of text after "fix. You can see this bug/feature in real-life action in a recent post, please see https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-fortran-compiler-for-linux-and-mac-os-x/topic/804971#comment-1934136 .

If you use the Zoom feature of your browser while viewing this post, you will see more (usually, but not always, with zoom out) or less (usually, but not always, with zoom in) of the source text.

Secondly, what we see with the Preview button is not always the same as what show up after pressing Submit.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

I have reported both of these issues to the forum backend folks. The forum was moved to the new platform recently and not all features were added. 

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Additional gripe:

The default textbox for Leave a Comment to too small for practical for practical use. It is 2 lines, if you use Enter, or 3 lines if you use Shift-Enter. This requires the user to expand the text box before writing anything of substance. Your webmaster should be able to query the browser to determine the display properties (number of lines) and adjust the size of the Leave a Comment block accordingly.

Gripe 2:

For over 10 years I have been griping that this forum, top of page links:

Developer Programs > Tools > Support

do not include a link to Articles and Technical Papers

I for one, have written several Articles and Technical Papers and it is very difficult to locate these from this forum. IOW, it dis-incentivizes authors from publishing. A lot of work goes into writing good articles and papers, and if you want more contributions, make sure the articles get visibility.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel
! ==============================================================
!
! SAMPLE SOURCE CODE:
! SEEING SOURCE CODE HIGHLIGHTING MIGHT BE THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY FOR SOME :-)
!
! =============================================================
!
! Part of the vec_samples tutorial. For information, please read
! Tutorial: Auto-vectorization in the Getting Started Tutorials document
!

subroutine matvec(size1,size2,a,b,c)
  implicit none
  integer,                      intent(in)  :: size1,size2
  real, dimension(size1,size2), intent(in)  :: a
  real, dimension(size2),       intent(in)  :: b
  real, dimension(size1),       intent(out) :: c
  integer                                   :: i,j,k

c=0.
  do j=1,size2

!DIR$ IF DEFINED(ALIGNED)
!DIR$ vector aligned
!DIR$ END IF
     do i=1,size1
        c(i) = c(i) + a(i,j) * b(j)
     enddo
  enddo

end subroutine matvec

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

! ==============================================================
!
! SAMPLE SOURCE CODE:
! SEEING SOURCE CODE HIGHLIGHTING MIGHT BE THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE DAY FOR SOME :-)

Beautiful, thank you!

Can the forum backend fix the issue with the size of the comment box - see attached image below - and make it such that the vertical spacing makes several rows' worth of lines visible?

c.PNG

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

RE: Size of comment box (being 2 enterable lines, or 3 contiguous display lines)

Please node that out of the 18 comments on this thread, only 3 could be entered without expanding the comment box.

BTW - I know of no programmers that use there cell phone to post comments on this forum.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos