Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28381 Discussions

General oneAPI / Fortran Questions

Hector56
Beginner

Like many people, I am new to the Intel oneAPI environment and have a few general questions:

1. How does the oneAPI Fortran environment select which of the two installed Fortran compilers to use during compile (Intel Fortran Compiler Classic or Intel Fortran Compiler(Beta)). Do you have to set some preference (if so, can you indicate the location) or does the oneAPI environment automatically select the correct compiler based on the project you are developing?

2. How do you check for updates to the oneAPI environment. Under Intel Parallel Studio, the Intel Software Manager was used to check for updates. I been unable to find a similar product for the Intel oneAPI package.

Thanks.....

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ron_Green

2) Intel Software Manager - since I'm not a Windows users I had to research this. With oneAPI the Intel Software Manager is no longer available. The reason: THERE IS NO LICENSE FILE for oneAPI so there is no way for ISM to know what you have, whether it's under paid support, etc without a license file.

FOR ONEAPI it is essential to set up your IRC account and register your oneAPI Support license. If you have an active PSXE License on IRC you should "Upgrade" that license - this gives you all of your PSXE Downloads and notices AND adds the oneAPI products for all OSes. Your PSXE Support carries over to oneAPI. IRC will send email for each update for oneAPI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PrasanthD_intel

Hi John,

The classic compiler is ifort and the new beta compiler is ifx.

However this is Fortran compiler related query and there is a dedicated forum for Fortran related issues (Intel® Fortran Compiler - Intel Community).

I am redirecting this issue to that forum for better support.

Regards

Prasanth

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

1) No matter the OS, IFORT should be your default. IFX is a BETA compiler and will be maturing over the next 2 years. On Windows, it is the default in Visual Studio. For command line on all OSes just use 'ifort' and you get the Classic Compiler default.

2) If you have a paid support contract you will get emails when updates occur and you use Intel Registration Center to download. Just like you did with your paid PSXE license. I am guessing you are on Windows, yes? I can boot my Windows laptop and check for the SW Manager. I don't use Windows on a regular basis and haven't check for the SW Mgr.

0 Kudos
Ron_Green

2) Intel Software Manager - since I'm not a Windows users I had to research this. With oneAPI the Intel Software Manager is no longer available. The reason: THERE IS NO LICENSE FILE for oneAPI so there is no way for ISM to know what you have, whether it's under paid support, etc without a license file.

FOR ONEAPI it is essential to set up your IRC account and register your oneAPI Support license. If you have an active PSXE License on IRC you should "Upgrade" that license - this gives you all of your PSXE Downloads and notices AND adds the oneAPI products for all OSes. Your PSXE Support carries over to oneAPI. IRC will send email for each update for oneAPI.

0 Kudos