Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Heads-Up RE: VS 2017 update

David_DiLaura1

Colleagues,

I opened VS 2017 Professional Edition this morning to start work . . . A notification appeared above the ribbon bar saying a VS 2017 update was available. I initiated the update (foolishly, perhaps). After the update and re-opened VS to find that the Fortran installation of Release 18.01 had been removed -- or at least no longer present/available. Any Fortran-based .sln files are no longer recognized as compatible.  'ware!  'ware!  as they used to say.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Interesting - I have not found that installing VS updates has any effect on Intel Fortran, with rare exceptions. I also don't see how updating VS would corrupt solution files, which it would not normally touch. I have installed all of the VS2017 updates with no harmful effect on Intel Fortran 18.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Yes VS updates have in the past required fortran to be reinstalled and indeed fortran might not work at all! It is well worth checking compatability before any VS updates.

0 Kudos
David_DiLaura1

Worse and worse . . . I reinstalled Fortran (actually, Repaired it -- the installer apparently recognized that Fortran was still in VS 2017) but the updating process appears to have corrupted the project .sln file(s) that were open in VS when the updated was started.  This, even though the VS update process said that it would close all files and shut down VS during updating.

Microsoft is an elephant that sleeps where it wants.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Interesting - I have not found that installing VS updates has any effect on Intel Fortran, with rare exceptions. I also don't see how updating VS would corrupt solution files, which it would not normally touch. I have installed all of the VS2017 updates with no harmful effect on Intel Fortran 18.

0 Kudos
Joachim_Herb
Beginner

I can confirm this:

After installing the update for Visual Studio 2017 (Version 15.5.7): The Intel Fortran compilers 18.0.0 and 18.0.1 are gone from the Tools -> Options -> Intel Compilers and Tools -> Visual Fortran -> Compilers -> Select compiler pull down menu.

I first executed repair for Intel Parallel Studio 2018, but the compilers (neither 18.0.0 nor 18.0.1) showed up in Visual Studio. Then (without reboot) I executed repair  for Intel Parallel Studio 2018 Update 1. Then both compilers (18.0.0 and 18.0.1) appeared in Visual Studio (again).

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

And yet I have the same combination and no issues. I wonder what the difference is.

0 Kudos