Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

High CPU usage when open a IVF solution with MSVS 2010

FortCpp
Beginner

I am using MSVS 2010 + Cluster Studio 13 (updated last week). When I open my solution (some c projects and some fortran projects), the CPU usage went up and never came down. The trouble maker could be the parser.

I have a project contains 200+ .f90 files and 100+ _inc.f90 (header) files. The parser went smothly when the project first load. It said that "Parse file xxxxx.f90". But later it slowed down with increase of CPU usage.

Then in the end the CPU usage stayed around 13% without doing anything. (see attachment)

My computer has windows 7 64bit installed. i7 + 8G ram. 

Does anyone have a similar problem? Is there a way to fix it?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
FortCpp
Beginner

I attached a solution in a zip file. Please take a look and check whether it will cause a CPU usage.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

There certainly seems to be a problem here.  We'll look into it. As a workaround, open VS2010 separately, select Tools > Options > Text Editor > Fortran > Advanced and set Disable Database to True. You'll lose the advanced editing features but your project will load.

0 Kudos
FortCpp
Beginner

Yes, that works. Disable database option speed it up.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I do not think that  ~13% load on CPU is very high.For obtaining better and more accurate results I would recommend to run Xperf tool(before running Xperf please close Process Explorer because it calls Kernel Logger).

0 Kudos
FortCpp
Beginner

iliyapolak wrote:

I do not think that  ~13% load on CPU is very high.For obtaining better and more accurate results I would recommend to run Xperf tool(before running Xperf please close Process Explorer because it calls Kernel Logger).

I mean 13% CPU usage without doing any typing/debugging/compiling. Plus there was a balloon told you "MSVS is busy" once in a while.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

FortCpp wrote:

Quote:

iliyapolakwrote:

I mean 13% CPU usage without doing any typing/debugging/compiling. Plus there was a balloon told you "MSVS is busy" once in a while.

Ok now I understand it properly.Can you reproduce it under Xperf?

0 Kudos
FortCpp
Beginner

iliyapolak,

Do you mean Windows Performance Toolkit? I have it installed. But it doesn't do anything. Everything is blank (See attachment).

I attached a solution under my original post. You can try it out by yourself.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

>>>I attached a solution under my original post. You can try it out by yourself>>>

Unfortunately I do not know fortran.

>>>Do you mean Windows Performance Toolkit? I have it installed. But it doesn't do anything. Everything is blank (See attachment).>>>

Yes.How did you run xperf?What command did you issue?Have closed Process Explorer before using xperf?

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Can you run this command: xperf.exe -on -stackwalk  devenv.exe

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Because you are on 64-bit machine in order for the stacks to not be paged out there is an option to disable paging.

Reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" -v DisablePagingExecutive -d 0x1 -t REG_DWORD -f

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is a bug in our version of IntelliSense in VS. For me, it causes VS10 to exit without any error message. VS12 just slowly chugs along. It isn't supposed to do this.

I have escalated it to the developers, and they're usually pretty good at getting a fix into an update.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The developers tell me they have fixed several problems this source brings out and that the fix is expected to be included in Update 3.

0 Kudos
FortCpp
Beginner

Great! I am looking forward to the update 3! Thanks.

0 Kudos