Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

How do I get my fortran back ?

WSinc
New Contributor I

I just had a computer "GO SOUTH" and I have the new one up and running.

But the Fortran XE 2017 I downloaded wont run. I installed it using my previous license file,

and it went thru all  62 pieces, but I get an unusable result.

So which Fortran should I get, and how do I get it ?

BTW why does a CR take me to the top of the page ?

Don't they test this stuff ?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

<sarcasm>With such a concise and highly descriptive summary of the problem(s) I am sure lots of really useful advice will come forth</sarcasm>!  Seriously though there isn't really anything to go on there.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

From the Windows Start menu it is expected an Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 program group is created containing various short-cuts. Some include command-prompt short-cuts to open a pre-initialized command-prompt window and short-cuts to start Visual Studio (presence of these depends on the MSVS versions installed and selections to integrate into them during the Fortran installation).

These can look like:

-  What is your version of Windows?
-  Have you install Microsoft Visual Studio and the C++ component (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-parallel-studio-xe-compilers-required-microsoft-visual-studio) before installing the Intel Fortran or did you elect to use the VS2013 Shell that ships with Intel Visual Fortran?

- To use the VS2013 Shell shipped with Intel Visual Fortran you must install the required Microsoft SDK first. Refer to https://software.intel.com/en-us/vs2013shell-windowssdk for details and a link.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Is your new computer equipped with a 64-bit CPU and running a 64-bit Windows OS? If not, you may have to settle for Parallel Studio 16.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I bought a DELL XPS. which I believe has a 64-bit CPU, and was pre-installed with Windows 10.

Actually, I dont need anything fancy, just something that will compile and build my applications I had before.

Whatever helpful comments (hopefully without sarcasm) would be appreciated.

anything to get around this confused mess anyway.

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

My comment did have some sarcasm but are intended to be helpful. What did you install (full details)? What do you not have now that you expect to have? What exactly is an "unusable result"?  kevin and mecej4 have made some guesses but you haven't given any detail or any feedback on those or defined the problem any further.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Bill, there is one important piece of information missing: is your Windows 10 on your new PC 32-bit or 64-bit? To find out, press the Windows special key (sometimes labeled "Start" instead) and then the Pause key on the keyboard. The pop-up window will tell you whether the OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Did you install Windows 10 on your new PC, or did someone else or the OEM do that?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I tried the thing with the Startup key, but it just gives me info about the current item on the screen.

My current KB has Pause Break in green letters, but that one does not give the results we need.

Actually, Would it not be just as easy to copy the old Fortran off the backup drive ?

I am happy with what was working before.

I looked at Kevin's reply, but I cant find my way to the window he is showing there.

The Windows 10 came PRE-INSTALLED with the NEW Dell computer. I am wondering if I should get a backup disk anyway.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Maybe Steve could point me back to where I can re-install an XE 2016 version

.I looked at the DEVELOPER ZONE on your web site, but I only saw where you advertise the newest (XE 2017) one, don't see any way to

go back to a 2016 version. Right now, there is no need to make things complicated.

I only want what I had before - -  that at least worked.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Bill, sooner or later, when you ask for software support, you will probably be asked whether your system is running 32-bit or 64-bit Windows, so it is worthwhile to settle that question now. Two methods to find out:

1. As I stated earlier, press Win-Pause (both keys together).

2. Open a command window (cmd.exe) and in the command window enter the command:

systeminfo

and report the output text here.

Your new PC is different from your old PC, no matter how similar it may look to you. You can say the same about any new product that you buy to replace an old product, or even about the acquisition of a new spouse.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

Well, that thing with the keyboard does not work -

But I was able to verify that I do in fact have a 64 bit intel CPU, by going into the system info page.

and the installed windows 10 is also 64 bit.

But I just want to get the XE 2016 build #4 back for now,

and that should support that, right ?

Please ask someone to send me a link to that.

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

"How do I download and install an older version?" is an item in the "Useful information and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" page that is linked to in the announcements box at the top of the starting page for this forum.  It is a pretty frequently asked question, I would expect that page would turn up pretty quickly in search results.

Remember we cannot see your computer.  When you say things like "does not work" or "get an unusable result", it conveys pretty much zero information to us.

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I don't see that link anywhere. Maybe the problem is with that stupid Microsoft Edge browser ?

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Which link?  The FAQ?  I can see that using Edge.

step one.png

step two.png

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

THAT DOES NOT WORK ! ! ! ! 

It says "no download " for all the products, including the ones before today.

As far as I can see, I still have a current license. I renewed it on Jan, 2016.

But even with an expired license, why could I still not download an older product ?

Well, it did let me download the XE 2013 build #1

Why is this such a confused mess ?

Can I get an intelligent answer from someone ?

0 Kudos
IanH
Honored Contributor II

Works for me, using Edge.

step three.png

Have you registered your renewal serial number?  Does it appear in the list of serial numbers on the registration center?  When you click on a product name in the product list (the equivalent of the "Intel Parallel Studio XE Professional Edition For Fortran Windows" line in the image above), is your support expiry date in the future?

I only see "no downloads" when I am looking at "expired" products that I no longer (or never had) have a licence for.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I sent you a private reply with the direct link to the Parallel Studio XE 2016 Update 4 download/installation setup image. Your current license will permit installation of this version.

It hard to judge what you are seeing without seeing some visual images. I have asked our Startup Support team to assist with checking into your account view under the IRC. Your support subscription is current (until Jan 2017) so there should be nothing limiting your view/access to all the latest and past releases.

When/where does entering CR take you to the top of the page?

0 Kudos
WSinc
New Contributor I

I looked again this AM, and it only shows the NEWEST fortran downloads. That is with my CURRENT license.

So everything I ever did this year is forbidden, and everything else previous, except for XE 2013 SP1, build 6.

It does allow XE 2017 stuff, which I cannot use on my older 32-bit CPu. But that's OK.

It told me my current license is already registered.

a lot of this confusion could be cleared up, if you allow remote access, like a lot of other companies do,

why is there a TABOO against that ?

0 Kudos
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Post a screen shot of what you see on the downloads page.

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

I have something setup now to allow remote access. I'll contact you via a private reply.

0 Kudos