Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28386 Discussions

How to Call C function from Intel Fortran: beginner

rampy
Beginner
Hi ,

I am using Intel C++ compiler and Intel fortran compiler 9. Both are integrated in microsoft visual c++..I am new to mixed level programming...
This is my sample code written in C

#include
void calc_(float *x1, float *y1)
{
float sum;
sum = *x1+*y1;

printf("The sum is %13.5e ",
sum);
return sum;
}
And this is code written in Fortran calling the C function

PROGRAM callc
IMPLICIT NONE
REAL R
REAL :: p1_x, p1_y
EXTERNAL calc
p1_x = 8
p1_y = 5

CALL calc(p1_x,p1_y)

READ(*,*)R
END PROGRAM callc

Now I get the following error when i compile through microsoft visual studio environment

callC error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _CALC referenced in function _MAIN__
callC fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

Please help me to resolve this issue and send me some links where I can read more about mixed level programming from basics...
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The examples which come with the compiler should show you some of the basics. Microsoft style defaults are different from linux and cygwin. If you examine the .obj files, using dumpbin /symbols, you would see that the Fortran would call CALC, rather than calc_. Also, if you haven't decided whether you are compiling with C or C++, that would be a useful decision to make. In C++, you would have to add extern "C" to the declaration of CALC. If you want ifort to use the linux style conventions, you need -Qlowercase -us. If you do that, you will not be able to use libraries built for the default convention.
I think I saw a reply from Steve Lionel, but it seems to have been deleted.
0 Kudos