Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28441 Discussions

How to use ifort command with visual studio ?

Guizzh
Beginner

Hi,

I've downloaded Microsoft visual studio 2019 and intel fortran compiler (my computer uses windows 10). I open the files in visual studio and I open the powershell developper. When I enter "ifort *.f90", in order to compile every .f90 files in the folder, I get the following message :

"ifort :  the term "ifort" is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program."

What can I do to avoid this problem ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

If you're using Powershell, do this.

1. Use the shortcut Intel installed in the Start menu under Intel oneAPI 2021 > Intel oneAPI command prompt for Intel 64
  2. Type "powershell".

Now you can use the ifort command. Of course, you can skip step 2 if you like. Just be sure to change your directory ("cd") to your work area.

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

You can also change the start directory in the properties for the start menu shortcut to point to a different folder, but it fails with subst drives.  

0 Kudos
Guizzh
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

I used "Intel OneAPI command prompt for intel 64 for visual studio 2019", typed "powershell" and changed the directory but sadly it still doesn't work and I get the same message

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You get the SAME message? Please show us a log of the session. Also note that *.f90 will not work - you need to name the files. If you are building multiple files, a Visual Studio project is easier.

0 Kudos
Guizzh
Beginner

Yes, the same message.

That's what I get, in english it would mean : "ifort :  the term "ifort" is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path exists, verify the path is correct and try again."

I tried to compile it with *.f90 but I don't think that this is the problem.

Sans titre.png

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Show me the whole thing - like this:

Screenshot 2021-06-14 201529.png

I wonder if you have the compiler properly installed.

Guizzh
Beginner

I set visual studio up again and it seems to work. 

Thank you for your help !

0 Kudos