Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
27152 Discussions

How to use ifort command with visual studio ?

Guizzh
Beginner

Hi,

I've downloaded Microsoft visual studio 2019 and intel fortran compiler (my computer uses windows 10). I open the files in visual studio and I open the powershell developper. When I enter "ifort *.f90", in order to compile every .f90 files in the folder, I get the following message :

"ifort :  the term "ifort" is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program."

What can I do to avoid this problem ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Black Belt Retired Employee

If you're using Powershell, do this.

1. Use the shortcut Intel installed in the Start menu under Intel oneAPI 2021 > Intel oneAPI command prompt for Intel 64
  2. Type "powershell".

Now you can use the ifort command. Of course, you can skip step 2 if you like. Just be sure to change your directory ("cd") to your work area.

JohnNichols
Valued Contributor II

You can also change the start directory in the properties for the start menu shortcut to point to a different folder, but it fails with subst drives.  

Guizzh
Beginner

Thank you for your answer.

I used "Intel OneAPI command prompt for intel 64 for visual studio 2019", typed "powershell" and changed the directory but sadly it still doesn't work and I get the same message

Steve_Lionel

You get the SAME message? Please show us a log of the session. Also note that *.f90 will not work - you need to name the files. If you are building multiple files, a Visual Studio project is easier.

Guizzh
Beginner

Yes, the same message.

That's what I get, in english it would mean : "ifort :  the term "ifort" is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path exists, verify the path is correct and try again."

I tried to compile it with *.f90 but I don't think that this is the problem.

Sans titre.png

Steve_Lionel

Show me the whole thing - like this:

Screenshot 2021-06-14 201529.png

I wonder if you have the compiler properly installed.

Guizzh
Beginner

I set visual studio up again and it seems to work. 

Thank you for your help !