Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

Initializing allocatable arrays to NaN

Christopher_H_1
Beginner

Hello,

A search indicates that this question was asked (in the Fortran for Windows Forum) before, but that was three years ago, and I can't find any update.

I'm using Intel Fortran version16.1 and I'd like to initialize allocatable arrays to NaN to aid in debugging.  I am familiar with the -ftrapuv and -init=snan,array options but it is my understanding they do not work for allocatable arrays.  The answer in the three year old question I found was "it is something we are working on for the future".  It is now the "future", and since that topic is closed, I've opened a new question to ask again.  Has that capability been added?  Or is it still part of future plans?

Chris Harrop

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Yes, it has been added.  -init=snan,.arrays now works for allocatable arrays. Don't use -ftrapuv, it is worthless.

0 Kudos
Christopher_H_1
Beginner

Steve,

Thank you very much for that information.  I'm very happy to hear that.  Do you happen to know which version of the compiler added that capability?  I'd like to make a note for my colleagues about version requirements as we have multiple systems with varying, and sometimes fairly old, versions installed.

Thanks again,

Chris

0 Kudos
Lorri_M_Intel
Employee

It was added in 16.0, although I don't know whether it was an update, or the original release.

--Lorri

0 Kudos
Christopher_H_1
Beginner

Lorri,

Thank you.  That is very helpful.  I have no further questions on this topic.

Chris

0 Kudos