Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Integration of Intel Fortran in Eclipse

Xiaoming_C_
Beginner

I am using Eclipse for developing Fortran  project by intel parallel studio 2016 linux. But by "Add new software"  in Eclipse, only the plugin for C++ is available.  

As mentioned in "https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/280478", All check boxes have been unchecked.

Who can show me the right way to install the plugin of fortran?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Xiaoping_D_Intel
Employee

Intel Fortran Compiler for Linux doesn't support integration with Eclipse. 

Thanks,

Xiaoping Duan

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Xiaoming_C_
Beginner

Thanks.

As the method proposed by Mr. Georg Z. (Intel) in  "https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-c-compiler/topic/280478".

Is the plug-in for eclipse available in the former versions of parallel studio?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Intel has never provided Fortran integration into Eclipse. Current Eclipse distributions include the "PHOTRAN" Fortran Development Tool which supports Intel Fortran.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

I use IVF on Eclipse (Neon) via the PHOTRAN project. It works quite nicely. I only have some minor issues with it:

a) When using (building/linking/debugging) a C++ application that uses a Fortran .so file, when debugging, and stepping into the Fortran .so file, I can set/toggle breakpoints in the library, however the breakpoint marker is not highlighted in the left border of the window. (as it is in the main C++ program). The Breakpoints window does show the breakpoint and the breakpoints do work. (it would be nice to see them marked when viewing the source).

b) While I can view/expload an instance of a user defined type, I cannot do this for an allocatable array of user defined types.

I do have other issues, but they are rather minor.

Integration with Eclipse is not an Intel compiler issue, it is a 3rd party issue.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Xiaoming_C_
Beginner

Ok, I got it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Lehmkuhl__Jan
Beginner

I am struggling with the same issues in Eclipse. Is there a better way to develop Fortran Code under Linux? Maybe another IDE?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Maybe Code:Blocks?

0 Kudos
Lehmkuhl__Jan
Beginner

Thank you, I will try it.

Steve Lionel (Ret.) wrote:

Maybe Code:Blocks?

0 Kudos
Johannes_Rieke
New Contributor III

Definitely Code::Blocks.

It is a very handy solution. I would highly recommend the version from Darius Markauskas, which you can get from here.

Especially programming object oriented Fortran brings fun because of supreme code completion and more. Mixed programming with C/C++ works also fine. In addition debugging is also possible and is comfortable as like in MS VS.

A video tutorial you can be found at youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAd5IHs3OIs

BR, Johannes

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

johannes k. wrote:

Especially programming object oriented Fortran brings fun because of supreme code completion and more. ..

Hope somebody from Intel Fortran team product development or (even better) the Intel software leadership/management is reading this and the concept of modern facilities with IDEs and their importance firmly registers in their minds.

All kinds of hobbyist developers as well as (very) small software outfits to large vendors are able to customize/extend Microsoft Visual Studio to offer all kinds of nifty facilities involving code completion and intellisense and more for their users, but Intel Fortran integration with Visual Studio has remained static for years and years as far as productivity features during coding are concerned, with no enhancement in sight.

Innumerable developers where I work in industry are resistant to coding in Fortran because it just doesn't "bring fun" like many other languages do, especially compared to those that are part of the Microsoft .NET suite of fully object-oriented languages.

By enhancing the Intel Fortran integration product with Visual Studio IDE, Intel can not only gain more customers but they will also serve Fortran well.  And if done right by Intel, Intel Fortran integration with VS IDE can be a cross-platform product too, for Microsoft is increasingly moving away from Windows and open-sourcing Visual Studio IDE and taking to other platforms such as Linux, etc.