Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Compiler doesn't show up in Xcode drop-down list

Gao__Yuanchen
Beginner

Hello everyone!

I try to use Xcode as the IDE of Fortran. And I do as the instruction on the website:

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/fortran-compiler-developer-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-setup/using-xcode-macos/selecting-the-intel-compiler.html

I meet the problem as it lists 'If the Intel® Compiler does not show up in the drop-down list', and I just don't understand the instruction meaning, which says 'To enable the Intel® Compiler in Xcode* specify the Xcode path during installation and restart the program'.

Here, I don't understand what's the meaning of 'specify the Xcode path during installation and restart the program'. Does it mean that I need to reinstall the Intel® Parallel Studio XE, and specify the xcode path during the reinstallation process?

Thanks for your help in advance!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ron_Green

Intel Fortran integration into Xcode was removed in PSXE 2020 Update 1.  So if you have that version of the compiler you cannot use Xcode.

the integration was, how to say this politely, "not very good".   It has been "not very good" for years so we removed it.

Even if you download an older compiler version and install it I am sure you will not be happy.  You can't debug in Xcode.  You have to manually list your modules source files in correct order of compilation, amongst other issues.  

My advice, don't waste your time.  I thought the Documentation would have been corrected to specify that Xcode is not longer supported by our Fortran compiler.  I'll get that corrected.

Ron

0 Kudos
Gao__Yuanchen
Beginner

Thanks for your reply and notification!

Ronald W Green (Blackbelt) wrote:

Intel Fortran integration into Xcode was removed in PSXE 2020 Update 1.  So if you have that version of the compiler you cannot use Xcode.

the integration was, how to say this politely, "not very good".   It has been "not very good" for years so we removed it.

Even if you download an older compiler version and install it I am sure you will not be happy.  You can't debug in Xcode.  You have to manually list your modules source files in correct order of compilation, amongst other issues.  

My advice, don't waste your time.  I thought the Documentation would have been corrected to specify that Xcode is not longer supported by our Fortran compiler.  I'll get that corrected.

Ron

0 Kudos