Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Parallel Studio 2017 Update 4 won't detect Visual Studio 2017

Timothy_W_
Beginner

Hi

I am starting with a fresh install of Windows 10.  I have read all I could find about the problems of using Visual Studio 2017 Professional with Intel Parallel Studio 2017.  I have done the following.

Start with both not installed. Not much of anything installed on the machine.

Installed Visual Studio 2017 professional 15.3 with only the C++ for windows development option, nothing else.  Rebooted.

Install Intel Parallel Studio XE 2017 Update 4 for Windows.  It complains that Intel C++ compiler will not work because none of the supported environments is found on your computer.

I have tried uninstalling and installing.  I have even installed Visual Studio 2015 Professional.  Parallel Studio detects visual studio 2015 but won't allow me to check Visual Studio 2017.

I have tried rebooting.

I have started with clean versions of both, downloaded from Intel and Microsoft.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Tim

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

I just read that this latest update of VS2017 breaks compatibility with Intel Parallel Studio. Unless you can find and install an earlier version, you may need to try VS2015.

0 Kudos
Thomas_M_4
Beginner

Tim, 

You aren't the only one! I've just spent the last few hours trying to combat the same issue, and can say that Steve's recommendation of finding and installing an earlier version works. 

You can get VS2017 15.0 from the Visual Studio Dev Essentials section (https://www.visualstudio.com/dev-essentials/).

When installing 15.0, if you hit an error like I did based on 'PackageId=Microsoft.Net.Core.SDK;PackageAction=Install;ReturnCode=1638' all you need to do is modify/repair the Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable's in windows add/remove programs. Once they have repaired you should be able to modify and complete the installation of VS2017 15.0.

PSXE update 4 then should install and integrate with VS2017.

Hope this helps!

Tom

0 Kudos
Timothy_W_
Beginner

Thanks Steve and Tom for the information.

I was able to find Visual Studio 2017 15.1 version and that worked, we saved a full download locally a few months ago.  It was not obvious from the dev-essentials page where to get the earlier version. 

If I upgrade to Visual Studio 2017 15.3, will the integration continue to work?  I would prefer the latest version.

I would try but have spent far too long on this for now.

Is there a way to install the visual studio integration without running the full installer?  I found 

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio

but I can't find the files it references for Visual studio 2017 and 2015. 

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos
Kien_P_
Beginner

Can we sticky this post so I can check back and see when we can upgrade to 2017 15.3?

0 Kudos
Timothy_W_
Beginner

When we can update to visual studio 2017 15.3, how to integrate?  I have been uninstalling/installing Intel Fortran.  Maybe modifying installation works but I don't remember.

from https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio, there should be a integrate.bat for repairing/installing Fortran to Visual Studio.  integrate.bat is missing from the directory for Visual Studio 2017.  The article also mentions where to find the VFPackages for Visual Studio 2015.  That folder on my computer does contain a integrate.bat but it looks like it is specific to 2015 but not sure. 

Thanks!

Tim

Visual Studio 2017

Close Visual Studio and type the following commands:

cd %CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\intel\shared files\VS Integration\VS15\Intel Fortran\VFPackages
integrate.bat “<VsInstanceDir>\Common7\Tools\”  /u
integrate.bat “<VsInstanceDir>\Common7\Tools\”

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

VS 2017 version 15.3 and later will be supported in Intel Fortran Compiler 18.0 and 17.0 Update 5  (Parallel Studio 2018 and 2017 Update 5).

Using VS 2017 earlier release as suggested above is a correct workaround.

Best regards, 

0 Kudos
Timothy_W_
Beginner

Hi Devorah

Thanks for the update.  When will 17.0 update 5 be available?  A approximate date or month would be helpful for planning.

Regards

Tim

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Mid Fall approximately. 

0 Kudos
Henrique_M_
Beginner

Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

VS 2017 version 15.3 and later will be supported in Intel Fortran Compiler 18.0 and 17.0 Update 5  (Parallel Studio 2018 and 2017 Update 5).

Using VS 2017 earlier release as suggested above is a correct workaround.

Best regards, 

What if we install PSXE2017 on top of Visual Studio 2017 15.2 and then upgrade Visual Studio to the 15.3 version. Will it still work?

Regards,

Henrique

0 Kudos
Michael_E_2
Beginner

I'm a little surprised about the lack of support from Intel for Visual Studio 2017. It's not like it was released overnight. For 15.3 they had like 6 preview releases. At this point it’s very unlikely that we will renew or buy any more licenses for Intel Parallel Studio.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

All these previews from Microsoft were tested. Unfortunately, last minute changes were introduced by Microsoft. We are working with them to prevent these type of changes in the future. 

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this VS 2017 v.15.3 issue. 

0 Kudos
Eslami__Keyvan
Beginner

Today, I decided to update both my VS installation and PSXE. Four hours later, and I completely regret that decision! 

When I try to install PSXE2017 update 4 over VS Community 2017 (15.3), I keep receiving the warning that no installation of VS is detected.

I have tried installing older versions of VS, both community and professional (15.0) to no avail: the installer provided by MS for developers keep failing, and I cannot seem to be able to come by stand alone versions.

I'd appreciate it if someone from Intel could provide me with a practical SOLUTION (not an apology!).

Lack of support from Intel is quite disappointing!

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Keyvan E. wrote:

I have tried installing older versions of VS, both community and professional (15.0) to no avail: the installer provided by MS for developers keep failing, and I cannot seem to be able to come by stand alone versions.

What is the error when installing PSXE 2017 U4 over VS2015? 

A simple solution:

Please try to repair VS2015 installation or reinstall VS2015 (follow instructions in this article). Then run PSXE 2017 Update 4 installation. Customize IDE integration to select VS2015 only.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Erik_W_
Beginner

Wish I had read this thread last week before I spent 6 hours trying to get PSXE to install cleanly on VS2017.

Eventually I gave up and reinstalled VS2015 and PSXE on that.

I agree with Kien's suggestion that this topic should be sticky at least until Parallel Studio 2018 and 2017 Update 5 are available.

Regards,

Erik W

0 Kudos
Henrique_M_
Beginner

Devorah H. (Intel) wrote:

Quote:

Keyvan E. wrote:

What is the error when installing PSXE 2017 U4 over VS2015? 

A simple solution:

Please try to repair VS2015 installation or reinstall VS2015 (follow instructions in this article). Then run PSXE 2017 Update 4 installation. Customize IDE integration to select VS2015 only.

Best regards,

Devorah,

I think he meant the Visual Studio 2017 15.0 version and not the 2015 version as you mentioned.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

For the Visual Studio 2017 15.0 integration issues please use a workaround provided in this article.

0 Kudos
Eslami__Keyvan
Beginner

Thanks Devorah for your response, and thanks Henrique for clarification: that's exactly what I meant.

Anyone who is still struggling with this, I suggest either going back to VS2015, or, if you insist, go with Tom's suggestion in Quote #3.

After wasting a lot of time on it, I decided to stick to VS2017 and find a way around the issue. This is what I realized after spending some time on it:

1. Download VS2017 ver.15.0 from VS's Dev' section. (You can find an offline installer too, if you search hard.)
  2. It is likely that you encounter a code 1638 error when installing. This is where Tom's suggestion to repair MS Visual C++ Red. 14's failed to work for me. I suggest that you remove it completely. (I am not quite sure why, but, I think, since I had installed VS2017 ver.15.3 before, ver.15.0's installer couldn't overwrite/change it.)
  3. (Full disclosure: at this point, I was so angry that I removed every trace of my previous installation of VS2017! But, I am not sure that is necessary.)
  4. The rest is as you might expect: install PSXE update 4 over it.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Thomas_M_4
Beginner

For those interested, I've updated my VS2017 to version 15.3.3 and it's works with my PSXE 2017 (after installing PSXE in an older VS2017)

Tom

0 Kudos
Timothy_W_
Beginner

Thanks Tom for the heads up.  I was afraid to try upgrading to Visual Studio 2017 15.3.3, but it worked just fine.

Tim

0 Kudos
Ralf_K_1
Beginner

Hello everybody,

we can confirm the observation made by Thomas above: The integration of PSXE 2017 Update 4 in VS 2017 15.2 is not broken if you update to  VS2017 15.3.3 afterwards (at least under Win10 Pro).

Unfortunately, we cannot confirm the statement that upgrading to VS2017 15.3.3 would resolve issues. In fact, we did a fresh install of VS 2017 15.3.3 and installed PSXE 2017 Update 4 after that. Already at the stage of checking the requirements, we were warned that no suitable Visual Studio IDE for the integration was found. We just went on with the installation, which went smoothly without errors, and found that the warning was correct: VS 2017 15.3.3 is working fine, but none of the PSXE compilers and tools are part of the Visual Studio IDE and cleary. there are no command line enviroments (tested on a Win7 Pro SP1 machine).

I strongly support the efforts towards Microsoft to avoid such things in the future. Personally, I tend to think that if their latest update messed things up by introducing "last minute features" as mentioned above, they should provide a remedy with their next VS update.

Best regards and good luck to us all

Ralf

P.S. Some nightmares come to an end when we fall asleep.

0 Kudos