Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Intel Parallel Studio 2019 Fortran Library not Detect by MS Visual Stuido 2017

youssef__samer
Beginner

I started with installing MS Visual Studio 2017 without any workloads then I installed Intel Parallels Studio.

I then tried creating a Fortran project in MS VS, but it doesn't see the library or give me an option to do so.

I then modified the VS installation and added the C++ workload per https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/installing-microsoft-visual-studio-2017-for-use-with-intel-compilers

Still was not able to get it working.

Then I followed https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/troubleshooting-fortran-integration-issues-with-visual-studio

I found out that the integration files were not present.

Repaired the installation of Intel Parallel Studio to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Did you repeat the Parallel Studio install (doing a Change/Modify) after adding the C++ support to VS2017? You need to do that. Pay careful attention to any warning messages the Intel install shows you.

0 Kudos
youssef__samer
Beginner

I performed a repair. When I modify the install, what do I need to modify exactly?

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

You don't have to select anything - just run through the modify version of the install. It should pick up VS2017 automatically.

Just to make sure - what is the exact file name of the Intel installer executable you are using?

0 Kudos
youssef__samer
Beginner

Okay, I will give it a shot.

name is "parallel_studio_xe_2019_update3_cluster_edition_setup"

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Ok - was just making sure that you weren't installing a product that didn't include Fortran.

0 Kudos
youssef__samer
Beginner

I will give it a try on Monday and report back.

0 Kudos
watts__martin
Beginner

I am having the same problem with parallel_studio_xe_2019_update3_professional_edition_setup  and Visual Studio 2017 community edition.

It all worked fine on my old computer with Visual Studio 2015 community edition

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Martin, please make sure you followed the steps at https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-c-fortran-compilers-for-windows-integration-into-microsoft-visual-studio-2017 and then reran the Parallel Studio XE install.

0 Kudos
watts__martin
Beginner

Thanks Steve

I did ask for the C++ component to be installed when I installed VS2017 (setting up a new computer and switching from VS2015)

In VS2017, if I click on Help and then About, the Intel C++ compiler shows up, but not the Fortran

In VS2017, if I click on Help and then Intel Compilers and Libraries, both the Intel C++ and Fortran compilers show up.

In VS2017, if I try to initiate a new project, there is no template for Intel Fortran

I will uninstall everything and try again (maybe with update 2 first, which someone else indicated installed OK with VS2017, and then update 3)

I had no problem on my old computer with VS2015 and update 3. I can always try that if nothing else works.

0 Kudos
watts__martin
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I uninstalled everything and started over.

VS2017 and update3 installed OK, but I had to run a repair on VS2017.

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
Paul_B_7
Beginner

Hey steve,

I have been having a similar issue installing parallel XE 2019 update 3 finishes installing and gives the following error 

Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017 software integration failed to install correctly. Some of Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2019 Update 3 Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* components may not be available in Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017 software. Please refer to  https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-tools-integration-to-vs2017-issue for more information.

I don't see any thing obvious in the log file, but i doesn't integrate with VS2017 after modifying the install to include the C++ package

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Paul, I usually suggest uninstalling and reinstalling. First try just the Intel product, and if that doesn't work, uninstall both Intel and Microsoft, reboot, and reinstall VS then Intel Parallel Studio. Haven't heard of a failure yet with this method.

0 Kudos
Andreatta__Roberto

Hy Steve.

I've installed Visual Studio 2019 and Parallel Studio XE 2019 to write Fortran codes. Following Intel procedure, I was not able to open a Fortran Project in VS 2019 to start because there was not the correct option to click.

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Roberto, can you explain more what you were doing? Maybe show a screenshot? Are you trying to create a new project or open an existing one? In Visual Studio, do Help > About, then Copy Info. Paste the result into a reply here. (You may need to say "Continue without code" to get to Help.)

0 Kudos
JohnNichols
Valued Contributor III

Dear Roberto

VS 2019 and Intel Fortran 2019 do not play nice if you are trying to create a solution.  At the moment you need to create the solution in VS 2017 and then it will work in 2019 - I know because I just created one and it runs. 

My opinion is the change in startup for VS 2019 is still being adjusted to by Intel. Why Microsoft introduced the extra screen is beyond me and it is a pain.

John

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

It does work. I just did a test, using VS2019 16.2.4 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 19.0.4. The problem is that when you ask VS2019 to create a new project, it's not obvious where the Fortran projects are. You need to scroll down through "all" project types to find them;

Screenshot_9.jpg

This is better in the "2020" beta (compiler 19.1), where Fortran shows in the language dropdown. Look for the project icons with the F in the upper right corner.

0 Kudos