Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28383 Discussions

**Internal compiler error: internal abort** with oneAPI 2021.4

jirina
New Contributor I

I installed oneAPI 2021.4 (both Base Toolkit and HPC Toolkit) and I started getting "catastrophic error: **Internal compiler error: internal abort** Please report this error along with the circumstances in which it occurred in a Software Problem Report" when compiling my project. I get the same error when compiling just one source file. Further info is "ifort: error #10298: problem during post processing of parallel object compilation".

Everything compiled just fine with the previous version of oneAPI (2021.3).

The reported line in the file is

!$omp parallel if ( enableOpenMP .AND. omp_energy_misc ) num_threads ( threads ) default ( shared )

Used variables are defined in a module:

module OpenMPsettings

logical :: enableOpenMP

integer :: threads

logical :: omp_energy_misc

contains

end module OpenMPsettings

It is probably the scalar logical expression in the IF clause causing the error. If the IF clause is removed, the error is gone. If a single logical variable, no matter which one, is left as the logical expression, the error is gone.  It seems that .AND. in the logical expression is causing the problem.

Also, how do I access Fortran compiler help from Visual Studio? I can only see help for VTune Profiler, Inspector and Advisor in the menu Help...

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Barbara_P_Intel

Your second question is easier.  This article describes how to download and install documentation for use with the F1 key.

Now for your internal compiler error (ICE) do you have a small program that shows the failure.  There's not quite enough information here to create one.

andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for that Barbara, I have been missing F1 for several years now (since it was dropped). I once followed some instructions to install it but it didn't work. I have just done in now and it was quick, painless and works! It saves having to google to find the syntax/parameters of (for me) lesser used language features.  Cheers! 

0 Kudos
jirina
New Contributor I

I reduced my project/solution to a small program that shows the failure, see the attachment. The problem is the same - compiler crashes on the line with the PARALLEL IF directive.

Regarding help, I copied HTML help files to the location specified in the article (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\compiler_ide\2021.4.0\windows\documentation\en\compiler_f), started Visual Studio (2019, version 16.11.4), opened my solution, placed cursor on a Fortran keyword and pressed F1. Nothing happens. Pressing Ctrl+F1 opens the landing page of Visual Studio documentation.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

Thank you for the nice reproducer!  I'm still investigating the ICE. If you compile with any optimization level other than /Od, it compiles just fine.

Now regarding F1 Help. I tested it and it is working. I have some tips...

• Highlight the entire keyword
  • Use Fn+F1 to show the documentation

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

I filed a bug report on the internal compiler error, CMPLRIL0-34295. I'll let you know when a fix is available.

0 Kudos
Barbara_P_Intel

The internal compiler error you reported is fixed in ifort version 2021.5.0 which is part of the oneAPI HPC Toolkit 2022.1.

Please download the latest version and check it out!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

0 Kudos