Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Invalid license data. Reinstall is required

Richard1
Beginner

I was used a Intel Visual Fortran 11.1 until December 31st.
but I can't start it at January 2nd.
When I start Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell, there comes an error message saying " Invalid license data. Reinstall is required"

Please find out why.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

This is a new one to me. You say you get this as soon as you open Visual Studio? We don't do our own license checking there. Does a reinstall help?

0 Kudos
Jauch
Beginner

Maybe this is not a Intel Fortran issue at all?
Maybe this is related with the Visual Studio (much more probable)?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Well, I am not aware of any kind of license check done by VS Shell. Please show a screenshot of the error.

0 Kudos
Richard1
Beginner

I attached a screenshot of the error.

Thanks

Richard

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Thanks - I will send this on to the developers for comment. I suggest uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that helps. Make sure you uninstall both Fortran and Microsoft Visual Studio Shell.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I did a Google search on the error message and found lots of reports of this issue with other Microsoft installs. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2673275/how-do-i-fix-an-invalid-license-data-reinstall-is-required-error-in-visual-c seems to have a lot of useful information, including a suggestion that an incorrectly set system clock or expiring time-of-year battery can trigger this. I'm less enthusiastic about the recommendations to edit registry entries.

I think I would suggest an uninstall, delete the Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0 folder, make sure your system clock is set correctly, reboot, then reinstall. Let me know what happens.

0 Kudos
Candice_D_
Beginner

Steve/Richard, 

I have this problem as well. Was this ever resolved other than the drastic move of uninstalling MS Visual Studio 10? I say this because that particular version of MS Visual Studio Express and associated service packs, sdk, and BUG patches are not a trivial thing to uninstall/re-install because of the associated installation bug. 

Candice 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

I have seen no follow-up on this. Which version of Intel Fortran are you using, Candice?

0 Kudos
Candice_D_
Beginner

In the email with my serial number, it says Intel Visual Fortran Composer XE 2015, 

But - I chose to install

Version 2013 SP1 (Update 4 E/J VS)

because it looked like it contained Visual Studio Shell with it. Could this be the problem...? 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

That's not a problem, I just wanted to know which version you had. I don't have any better suggestion for you than to uninstall and reinstall - you should just need to add VS2010 SP1 and then the .msi we provide that applies fixes to SP1. Or, if you have access to VS2012 or VS2013, you could use those. (You might want to see if you qualify for VS2013 Community Edition, which is free - there are some license limitations on commercial use but you might qualify.)

0 Kudos
Candice_D_
Beginner

Hi Steve,

I already have SP1 installed with MSVS2010, it is necessary along with the bug patch that fixes what SP1 breaks upon installation. 

Is MS VS Express 2012 compatible? 

Candice

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

VS Express doesn't support GUI integration with outside compilers such as Intel's.  It could be used for limited 32-bit command line functionality.  Steve's suggestions are more interesting.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Tim is correct. Please uninstall Fortran and VS2010 Shell completely, then reinstall. It shouldn't take more than a half hour. I'm hoping that the reinstall fixes this license problem. The VS2010 install is something we get as a "black box" from Microsoft and we have little insight into what it does.

0 Kudos
Candice_D_
Beginner

Uninstalling/ reinstalling both the Intel compiler and MS VS Shell 2010 did not fix the problem. 

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Hmm. Some further reading suggests that an install of Microsoft SQL Server can trigger this problem.  Supposedly a reinstall of SQL Server Data Tools can fix it.  I see a LOT of MS tool users have encountered this problem, but proposed solutions are all over the map and many point to Microsoft web pages that no longer exist.

What happens if you right click on the link for VS2010 Shell and select "Run as Administrator"? (Do you have administrator rights?)

I will ask our VS team if they have any ideas, but as I said, the VS install is sort of a black box to us.

0 Kudos
Candice_D_
Beginner

Originally I tried installing  Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* (incl. Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and Libraries*) 2013 SP1 Update 4 with my existing MS Visual Studio Express 2010 SP1/SDK7.1/SQLServer/etc. After installation, I noticed that MS Shell (Int) was not installed as I expected.

Unfortunately this is where I started the nightmare of trying to install MS Shell 2010 (downloaded from MSDN website) on top of my existing VS Express 2010. Do not do this, it will not work.

After uninstalling all programs related to MS Visual Studio Express 2010 SP1, SDK 7.1, SQL Server, and associated Redistributables (and MS VS Shell), reinstalling all (except MS VS Shell) according to http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/96611-how-do-i-install-microsoft-visual-c-2010-and-microsoft-windows-sdk-7-1 (one thing to note is, originally, maybe a year and a half ago, I had installed all MS products according to the same instructions)

and reinstalling Intel® Parallel Studio XE Composer Edition for Fortran Windows* (incl. Microsoft Visual Studio Shell and Libraries*) SP1 Update 4, I am finally able to compile. On installation of the Intel compiler, the MS VS Shell was installed as part of the package.

Thanks everyone for your time,

Candice

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Ah, that's a clue - you had VS2010 Express installed first, and you separately downloaded VS2010 Shell. Yes, that would definitely cause problems.  I'm glad to hear you got it working.

0 Kudos
Sahila_B_
Beginner

The License of Intel Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition for windows has expired. I am not able to send the licence to my e mail or manage the licence from the Intel registration centre. Could you please help me regarding this.

0 Kudos