Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28434 Discussions

Is a fortran compiler (f77 or ifort) included in a R810 system (red hat enterprise Linux 5.4)?

sp_song
Beginner

Hello,

I just received a brand new DELL R810 (red hat enterprise Linux 5.4). The operating system has been installed. However, the fortran (f77 or ifort) compiler is not available, or at least it cannot be found using "man f77" or "man ifort". I am wondering whether a Fortran compiler should be included in the operating system or not.

I also downloaded an evaulation version of Fortran compiler 11.1 (Linux Intel 64bit). When installing the compiler, it first was checking the system requirement, and then an error message was shown: G++ is missed.

Could someone please shareany suggestions/comments?

Thanks.

Suping

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
Before you can install and run a Fortran compiler, you need to install the C/C++ development tools, since the same tools (and libraries) are also used by most Fortran compilers targeted to Linux.

If you have the distribution media (CD,DVD) or have links set up for updating Linux and its components, install g++ and its prerequisites. Then, proceed with the IFort installation.
0 Kudos
John4
Valued Contributor I

Since RHEL5 is based on some old version of Fedora (FC 6, I guess), you can use that install guide. To determine the package that includes libstdc++.so.5, "yum provides" can be useful (see yum's man page for details).

For an f77 option not related to Intel, you could install f2c (not a good idea if you require some debugging capabilities), g77 (sort of obsolete) or gfortran.

0 Kudos
joseph-krahn
New Contributor I
Most Linux systems have 'gfortran' available, and may also have the older 'g77' available. On Fedora 11, the gfortran package is called "gcc-gfortran" and the g77 package is "compat-gcc-34-g77". Gfortran is decent, but Intel Fortran gives better performance, and is worth buying a license for serious work. I normally test code on both compilers to help ensure portability.

When I get Dell systems, I delete RHEL and install Fedora. IMHO, Enterprise Linux is a bit more robust and good for a server, but Fedora is usually a better choice for a desktop/workstation. But, RHEL also includes some user support, if you need it.
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
I think that the Dell R810 is a server, not a desktop, and Dell may provide OS support for a contracted duration.

Given that Gfortran and Intel Fortran can be installed on RHEL5, I'd suggest trying that out far before considering wiping out the OS and starting afresh with another OS.
0 Kudos