Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28456 Discussions

Join the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta program

Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

We would like to invite you to participate in the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta program. In this beta test, you will gain early access to new features and analysis techniques. Try them out, tell us what you love and what to improve, so we can make our products better for you. 

Registration is easy. Complete the pre-beta survey, register, and download the beta software:

Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Pre-Beta survey

The 2018 version brings together exciting new technologies along with improvements to Intel’s existing software development tools:

Modernize Code for Performance, Portability and Scalability on the Latest Intel® Platforms

• Use fast Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512) instructions on Intel® Xeon® and Intel® Xeon® Phi™ processors and coprocessors
  • Intel® Advisor - Roofline finds high impact, but under optimized loops
  • Intel® Distribution for Python* - Faster Python* applications
  • Stay up-to-date with the latest standards and IDE:
    • C++2017 draft parallelizes and vectorizes C++ easily using Parallel STL*
    • Full Fortran* 2008, Fortran 2015 draft
    • OpenMP* 5.0 draft, Microsoft Visual Studio* 2017
  • Accelerate MPI applications with Intel® Omni-Path Architecture

Flexibility for Your Needs

• Application Snapshot - Quick answers:  Does my hybrid code need optimization?
  • Intel® VTune™ Amplifier – Profile private clouds with Docker* and Mesos* containers, Java* daemons

And much more…

For more details about this beta program, a FAQ, and What’s New, visit: Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta page.

As a highly-valued customer and beta tester, we welcome your feedback to our development teams via this program at our Online Service Center.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Kevin,

Kudos and big, big thanks to Intel Fortran team for getting all of Fortran 2008 standard implemented.

Last night I tried out all the outstanding features (except for anything related to coarrays) from Fortran 2008 that are still pending as of 2017 update 1.  Aside from a couple of issues with allocatable components of a recursive type I don't yet understand (most likely a problem between the chair and the keyboard) but which I could work around and apart from some spurious warnings, I'm thrilled to write the BETA version comes out with flying colors! 

Heartfelt congratulations to Intel Fortran staff for achieving this major milestone!

I'll evaluate further and report back to the Online Service Center as you have requested.

In the meantime, is there anything new in 2018 BETA in terms of Fortran 2015 features compared to 2017 update 1?  If you or someone from your team can provide somewhat more detailed summary of What's New, it will be very valuable,

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee

Thank you FortranFan. I passed on your comments to those deserving. I’m certain they will appreciate those kind words.

No additional Fortran 2015 features were added in the PSXE 2018 Beta release beyond what is present in PSXE 2017. Efforts were focused on completion of Fortran 2008 support for this release. Additional Fortran 2015 features will be supported in future releases.

The Intel® Fortran Compiler 18.0 Release Notes contain additional details on specific features and changes in this release (including the list of new Fortran 2008 features).

Additional information about the Intel Parallel Studio XE 2018 release will be available via the Development Tools Technical Webinars. The initial offering is Get Onboard with the Intel® Parallel Studio XE 2018 Beta.

0 Kudos
FortranFan
Honored Contributor II

Kevin D (Intel) wrote:

.. No additional Fortran 2015 features were added in the PSXE 2018 Beta release beyond what is present in PSXE 2017. Efforts were focused on completion of Fortran 2008 support for this release. Additional Fortran 2015 features will be supported in future releases. ..

Thanks Kevin.

Fyi, the phrase, "Fortran 2015 draft", then in the marketing blurb in the original post is somewhat misleading.

By the way, an important feature in my opinion from Fortran 2008 is "A pointer function reference can denote a variable in any variable definition context."  However, it is not spiked out as a separate bullet item under "Features from Fortran 2008" in the Intel Fortran Release Notes link you provide above.  You may want to check if this feature is worth an explicit mention on the list.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I tried out several cases of FINDLOC, which works correctly, but does not vectorize (not recognized as search loop), so I filed a "supportticket."  In the absence of optimization, DO..EXIT code is several times faster.  FINDLOC looks nicer to my eyes but I don't have any compiler other than ifort beta which supports it.

Beta installation left my XE2015 ifort intact but it comes up with the MPI 2018 beta banner at the top of cmd window.  Not a problem for me, but thought I'd mention it.

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Tim P. wrote:

I tried out several cases of FINDLOC, which works correctly, but does not vectorize (not recognized as search loop), so I filed a "supportticket."  In the absence of optimization, DO..EXIT code is several times faster.  FINDLOC looks nicer to my eyes but I don't have any compiler other than ifort beta which supports it.

The fix for the bold is in the workings. Thank you for participating in Beta program!

0 Kudos
Pelle_R_
Beginner

Is there an ETA for the final release? Really looking forward to full Fortran 2008 support!

0 Kudos
Devorah_H_Intel

Pelle R. wrote:

Is there an ETA for the final release? Really looking forward to full Fortran 2008 support!

By the end of September! Stay tuned for forum and email notifications.

0 Kudos