Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.
28445 Discussions

Keeping Console App Window Open After Program Termination

Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

Hello,

I have built a console application using the Visual Fortran compiler with Visual Studio. When my application is terminated (either due to normal termination or due to a fatal error) the console window immediately closes. 

I would like to ask if there is a way to maintain the console window open after the program is terminated. This will be useful for situations where I have abnormal termination. Alternatively, is it possible to duplicate the "screen print" of the console window to a file?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II
I might be wrong on this but I think if you create a CMD window on run your app from it then output will go to that window rather than a new console created at the app launch.
0 Kudos
Ioannis_K_
New Contributor I

I agree, but this is not what I want. I want to double-click on the app to run it, instead of having to run it from cmd

0 Kudos
Steve_Lionel
Honored Contributor III

Once the program returns from the main program, Windows closes the console window. But take a look at https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/topic/275071#comment-1548443 for an alternative.

0 Kudos
Busch__Thorben
Beginner

Hey,

just write a

READ(*,*)

right before

END PROGRAM ...

so you have a kind of "press enter to close" ;)

0 Kudos