Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Link VS2008 to 2 external libraries

Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Dumb problem/question:  Using Visual Studio 2008 and Intel VF 11.1, I'm trying to link 2 external static fortran libraries to my fortran program, unsuccessfully at this point.

I'm specifying the libraries path under    Properties -> Linker -> General -> Additional Library Directories -> F:\folder\subfolder

I've tried to specify the libraries in that folder under Properties -> Linker -> Input -> Additional Dependencies -> name1.lib, name2.lib

What should I be doing?  Thanks for any suggestions!

0 Kudos
34 Replies
andrew_4619
Honored Contributor II

If they are bespoke libaries you might want to consider just adding them to the project , Menu "project", "add existing item" then there is no ambiguity.

If you look under project, properies, linker, command line  you should see the libraries are included in the link command.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

What error messages did the linker give you? Did it not find the specified libraries, or did it flag unsatisfied externals?

"trying to link unsuccessfully" is not of much help, if we do not know what you tried. The title of the thread is a bit misleading, since you are using VS2008 to link, rather than linking VS2008 itself.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

mecej4 wrote:
What error messages did the linker give you? Did it not find the specified libraries, or did it flag unsatisfied externals?

The subrountines that are part of the needed library, each products a typical message such as "... error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol FMSINI referenced in function MAIN__"

Output from the build is as follows:

Compiling with Intel(R) Visual Fortran 11.1.051 [Intel(R) 64]... ifort /nologo /module:"x64\Release\\" /object:"x64\Release\\" /libs:static /threads /c /extfor:f /Qvc9 /Qlocation,link,"D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\amd64" "F:\FMS1\Source Files\mode2_code.f"
Linking... Link /OUT:"x64\Release\FMS1.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /MANIFEST /MANIFESTFILE:"F:\FMS1\FMS1\Macro3d_Intel\x64\Release\FMS1.exe.intermediate.manifest" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /IMPLIB:"F:\Macro3d\FMS\fmsnogpu.lib F:\Macro3d\FMS\fmsnoshr.lib" "x64\Release\mode2_code.obj" "F:\Macro3d\FMS\Include Files\fmsnogpu.lib" "F:\Macro3d\FMS\Include Files\fmsnoshr.lib"
Link: executing 'link'
mode2_code.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol FMSINI referenced in function MAIN__
etc.

The 2 libraries I'm trying to link are fmsnogpu.lib and fmsnoshr.lib.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Do you expect the FMSINI reference to be satisfied in those libraries?  You might run dumpbin /symbols on the libraries to see what symbols are there, if they are recognizable in Visual Studio format, and whether they are "mangled" in some way, such as appended underscore.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

The linker line shows clearly that the two libraries are being looked up, but the symbol FMSINI is not defined in either of them. Which of the two libraries is supposed to contain this routine? Have you checked whether the libraries do contain the symbol and could name mangling be the source of the problem?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

Is it possible your libraries were built for 32-bits? If so, the external names would be different (a leading underscore on 32-bit. none on 64-bit.) You can't mix these.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Steve,

Don't think so.  All the compiler options for the program using the library are 64-bit.  I'm checking with the supplier about the issue since I think I'm doing things right.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The options for the program aren't what is important here - it's how the libraries themselves were built.

Please open a Fortran command prompt window. Set default (cd) to the folder containing the libraries.  Type the command:

dumpbin -symbols name1.lib > name1.txt

Now open name1.txt in notepad (obviously you substitute the real library name here) and search for FMSINI. Please show the full line from the file that contains that text.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Steve,

From the fmsnoshr.lib, under a heading "COFF SYMBOL TABLE" the first line is
004 00000000 SECT2  notype ()    External     | fmsini

Down a little further is
01D 00000000 UNDEF  notype ()    External     | fms$_fmsini

Nothing in fmsnogpu.lib

From this it appears the needed external subrountines are not there?

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

The routine is there, but in lowercase. This is evidently a C routine. On Windows, Fortran upcases routine names by default - hence the mismatch.

How are these routines declared in your Fortran code? Interface block, EXTERNAL or nothing at all? How many of these routines are you using? There are various ways to solve this but I need to know what your code looks like to recommend the best approach.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Useful info Steve.

Supplier has just said that I need to add two additional files, one .f90 and one .h  they provided to reference the C rountines.  I'm not experienced enough to figure these things out without a little guidence from them.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Steve,

Get a compile error associated with the .f90 file that was provided (I modified it and file is attached).  Main program is.fixed format file (.f attached)..

Probably some error due to my lack of knowledge in mixing fortran.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You evidently modified it by removing the MODULE and END MODULE lines. (The error message suggests you removed one and not the other.)

1. Put the MODULE and END MODULE lines back.

2. Add this .f90 source file to your project or compile it separately.

3. Add USE MODULENAME (where MODULENAME is the name of the module) to each program unit in your program that needs to call one of these routines. This line should go directly after the PROGRAM, SUBROUTINE or FUNCTION statement.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

I have seen only pieces of your source files, but here is one part that raised a red flag:

!DEC$ATTRIBUTES C, REFERENCE, ALIAS:' fmsini'::FMSINI

Note the leading blank in the alias name. These leading blanks are present in a number of aliases in file fmshdrf.f90; in particular, for FMSINI. Naturally, that is going to cause problems at link time. Try removing the leading blanks and building, or ask your library provider to explain those blanks.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

Steve,

There were no MODULE statements anywhere before I modified the fmshdrf.f90 file.  Seems like the compiler doesn't like using an INTERFACE in the .f90 when that is all there is, i.e. there are no other parts in the file, only the INTERFACE and END INTERFACE and stuff in between.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

An interface block is not a complete program unit, just as any other fragment of Fortran code such as a DO loop is not a complete program unit. Therefore, it cannot be compiled by itself.

The interface block can be placed inside a module that is than USEd where needed, or the file with the interface block can be INCLUDEd where needed.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

mecej4 wrote:
An interface block is not a complete program unit, just as any other fragment of Fortran code such as a DO loop is not a complete program unit. Therefore, it cannot be compiled by itself.

The interface block can be placed inside a module that is than USEd where needed, or the file with the interface block can be INCLUDEd where needed.

I tried both ways. For example, placed the file with INTERFACE and END INTERFACE as a file to be INCLUDED.  This ends up with all the routines as unresolved.  Same result if I place MODULE and END MODULE around the file and add a USE command.

0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

This ends up with all the routines as unresolved.

Of course! Interfaces are just that: descriptions of the interfaces to subprograms. The code for the subprograms is, presumably, in your libraries, and you have to link your code to those libraries.

Interfaces help the compiler to know how to pass arguments to the called subroutine. What to do with the arguments is up to the library code. Think of an interface as a phone number. When you call the number, there has to be someone at that phone number to receive the call.

0 Kudos
Ralph_Nelson
Novice

mecej,

I understand.  But as noted by Steve, based on the dumpbin output the files are there.  I also tried by removing the space in front of some of the routines as you note, still no improvement.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You could INCLUDE this file in the declarations section of each and every procedure that calls one of these library routines, or create a module and USE the module. You have to do this in each place these routines are called. You also need to specify the .lib as a source file or linker input.

If you do that and it still doesn't link, do you get exactly the same errors as before?

0 Kudos