Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linking Intel Visual Fortran v11 with abaqus 6.13

martin_p_3
Beginner

Hello, I'm a student at Universitas Indonesia and I have an assignment about abaqus user-sub routine in abaqus. That program required me to install Visual Fortran Compiler to run it. I have install Visual Fortran Compiler Pro 11.1.060. But when I try to verify the program, it said:

'ifort' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Abaqus Error: Problem during compilation - std_user.for
Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors

What should I do with that? I would really appreciate all of your command.. thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you are running a command line script provided by Abaqus, you should run it in a command window opened up by the shortcut

Start>All Programs>Intel....>Command Prompt > Intel Compiler 11.1

I don't have the exact spelling, as I don't have that particular version.

The shortcut contains a script to run ifortvars.bat setting up the necessary PATH entries.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

That would be: Intel Software Developmen Tools > Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition 11.1.xxx > Fortran Build Environment for applications running on IA-32

0 Kudos
martin_p_3
Beginner

hi TimP, I don't understand about command line script for abaqus since i'm new at this programming stuff. maybe you can explain it in a more simple way..

0 Kudos
martin_p_3
Beginner

hi steve, what should i do with "Intel Software Developmen Tools > Intel Visual Fortran Compiler Professional Edition 11.1.xxx > Fortran Build Environment for applications running on IA-32". I already have that in my computer, but still the abaqus won't recognize my ifort.

0 Kudos
Steven_L_Intel1
Employee

You use that shortcut to start a command prompt session. From there you invvoke Abaqus. If you need more help, contact Abaqus support as we don't know how they use ifort.  You can use the command:

ifort -what

from that command prompt to verify that ifort works.

0 Kudos
Greg_T_
Valued Contributor I

Have you already taken a look at the Abaqus on-line HTML documentation?  (Start->All Programs->Abaqus 6.xx->Abaqus Documentation, will open in a web browser)  To help you get started using user subroutines with Abaqus I recommend the Abaqus User Subroutine manual for information about each routine, and in the Abaqus Analysis User's Manual section 18.1, which gives an overview of the analysis procedure.  If you are also new to Abaqus you can use the HTML documentation for searches like the keyword "user subroutine", which will give many matches through the manuals.

0 Kudos
Martín_M_
Beginner

Hi martin p.,

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'd like to ask you, how did you manage to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Benoit_M_1
Beginner

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem as Martin P.

Does anyone solve this problem ?

I am going to submit the problem to abaqus support I keep you informed,

Regards,

Benoit Matte

0 Kudos
GoldenRetriever
Beginner

I used to have too much trouble with linking ABAQUS with Fortran, the main reason is I used NOT compatible versions between them.

I have not upgraded to ABAQUS 6.13 yet so not sure which version of Visual Studio and Intel Compiler are supported now. You must make sure the versions of those packages supported by the version of your ABAQUS, otherwise, it never works. I used to have newer versions of VS and Intel Compiler installed and end up with re-install the whole thing to older versions to get them work with ABAQUS.

This is something works for me:

Windows 7-64 bit

ABAQUS 6.12

Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0

Intel-Compiler-11.1-072

If you check all of those in good order, you can proceed with next steps:

Start -> Programs -> Abaqus -> Abaqus Verification ->  Right click on Properties 

You will see something like this:

C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\Commands\abq6121.bat -verify -all -log && notepad.exe verify.log || notepad.exe verify.log

Add the path of the files vcvarsx86_amd64.bat in VS and ifortvars_intel64.bat from Compiler to that:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat" & "c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\072\bin\intel64\ifortvars_intel64.bat" &&

Please note that if your system is 32 bit or your installed folder not the same then you should change the link accordingly. 

It becomes something like this:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat" & "c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\072\bin\intel64\ifortvars_intel64.bat" && C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\Commands\abq6121.bat -verify -all -log && notepad.exe verify.log

(You might need to cut off the part || notepad.exe verify.log which to call notepad to open verify.log file when finish as the command is too long)

During the verification process, you would be able to see if all requirements are PASSED or not. Alternatively you can open the summary file

"verify.log" in ABAQUS default temporary folder to see it.

If you got all what you needed "PASS" then you can do the same thing to the ABAQUS CAE

Start -> Programs -> Abaqus -> Abaqus CAE -> Right click-> Properties

And change it to something like this:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\bin\x86_amd64\vcvarsx86_amd64.bat" & "c:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Compiler\11.1\072\bin\intel64\ifortvars_intel64.bat" && && C:\SIMULIA\Abaqus\Commands\abq6121.bat cae || pause

Hope that helps and works for you.

0 Kudos
Tuo_L_
Beginner

A way to solve it is just add the ifortvars.bat to the abaqus.bat command file.

I wrote the detail here, hope it helps.

http://tuoonline.sinaapp.com/?p=131

Including change the environment variables and the abaqus.bat, a rather easy solution.

0 Kudos