Intel® Fortran Compiler
Build applications that can scale for the future with optimized code designed for Intel® Xeon® and compatible processors.

Linking abaqus 6.13-1 with Intel® Parallel Studio XE Cluster Edition

Vineet_N_
Beginner

I am trying to link abaqus 6.13-1 with INTEL FORTRAN COMPILER (cluster edition 2015) and 2016, on vs2012 platform. I followed the procedure well discussed online about modifying abaqus.bat file. 

but when I verify the abaqus standard sub-routine, I get following error msg. 

Begin Compiling Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
3/20/2016 2:46:42 AM
Intel(R) Visual Fortran Intel(R) 64 Compiler XE for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 15.0.6.285 Build 20151119
Copyright (C) 1985-2015 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

End Compiling Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
Begin Linking Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'msmpifmc.lib'
Abaqus Error: Problem during linking - Abaqus/Standard User Subroutines.
  This error may be due to a mismatch in the Abaqus user subroutine arguments.
  These arguments sometimes change from release to release, so user subroutines
  used with a previous release of Abaqus may need to be adjusted.
Abaqus/Analysis exited with errors

Can anyone tell what could be the problem

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Looks like you didn't install msmpi, or neglected to set up its paths.  If you did in fact install Intel Cluster Edition, and Abaqus supports that as an alternative to msmpi, you would need to investigate why Abaqus didn't recognize it.  From the Abaqus docs, it looks like you installed a version which doesn't support Intel MPI and you would have to follow their instructions about msmpi, or upgrade to an Abaqus which does support Intel MPI. 

If you have installed the Intel MPI supplied in Cluster Edition, and wish to use msmpi, you would need to adjust your installation so that Intel MPI doesn't block msmpi.  Abaqus support would be a better resource if you have questions on this. 

If you wish to ask to what extent Intel MPI might be compatible with applications built for msmpi, the clustering forum

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-clusters-and-hpc-technology

would be the appropriate one, but it does look like choosing an Abaqus upgrade would be a better path.

0 Kudos
David_S_17
Novice

Hi Vineet,

my name is David Sziroczak, I am a senior engineer at Intrinsys (intrinsys.com), we are a Dassault / Simulia VAR and we provide support for the Simulia products including Abaqus.

The issue you are having is most often due to a different version of MSMPI installed than the one that Abaqus requires. This is usually the issue when using older releases of Abaqus, such as the 6.13 in your case. Unfortunately Abaqus is quite picky from this point of view, it requires the correct version of compilers, linkers and MPI to compile subroutines.

What you can do is uninstall msmpi from your computer and install the version that came with your Abaqus installation media. You would have to double check this, but the required MPI version should be: Platform MPI 08.3.0.0

You could run abaqus info=system from your command line, or you can download the sysinfo utility from here:

http://www.3ds.com/support/certified-hardware/simulia-system-information/abaqus-613/system-configuration-analysis-for-abaqus-613/

This would tell you what is the MSMPI version, and you will most likely find that you have a higher version.

I hope this helps, let us know how it went and if you managed to get it to work,

Best regards,

David Sziroczak

0 Kudos